Wednesday, November 30, 2011

LTTSA: Puppet Theater Done!


Man, it feels really great to be done with my biggest Christmas gift project this early! I'm really happy with it and love the 1001 Peeps fabric on it, although it's not without it's problems. The biggest problem is that it's too big for our door frames. Simple measuring could have fixed that, but I'm not one for much forethought and convenient results. But I did kick myself for that. It fits ok, just a little bunched in. 

The other problem is that I didn't have any tools to be able to cut those thick dowels down to 28". So the part below the theater window is saggy for now, but I'm sure I can borrow something from someone to fix that problem. 

The biggest issue with this is that Hendrix got up from his nap while I was photographing it and his present is now a little ruined. The good news is he was really excited about it, and I'm hoping not seeing it for a month will elicit the same response on Christmas. Of course, by then it will have some new puppets to go with it. (probably store-bought. Ikea actually has really cute cheap ones.) I also might dress it up a bit more by sticking some of the Peeps people on the front. 









I think the curtains are my favorite part. I'm really glad I decided to put that strip of purple in it to pick up on the purple towers. And, yes I made the windows crooked on purpose. I had them placed all centered and even, and after staring at it til my eyes hurt, I finally figured out that it looked too nice and neat. They needed to be crooked like the windows on the print.

So, it needs some minor tweaks, but I really like it and I'm glad to know he will too. As I was making this, I realized that it was a LOT of work and took much longer than I had anticipated. That's why I decided to reward the efforts of those who made this particular project.

As always, I would love for you guys to link up whatever project from the book you made this month, big or small. I know not everyone had the time/ desire to make this one, in fact I'm expecting 5 or less of you did, which is fine and great. Everyone who links up anything will still be entered to win the pattern package from the lovely Owly Baby.

BUT! I will then do another drawing including just those that made the puppet theater and that winner will get an awesome prize package made up of my very own awesome destashings.


Super-Duper Stupendous Surprise Puppet Theater Prize Package:

  • Copy of Amy Butler's Little Stitches for Little Ones book. (very nice condition.)
  • One back issue of Stitch Magazine, full of free patterns.
  • 2 yards of that lovely linen I use all the time. (I used it for the house on the theater.)
  • 6 fat quarters (pretty stuff only, I promise.)
  • Ziploc stuffed with nice scraps. 
What? I know, awesomeness. I'm mostly doing this as a reward for your hard work, not a motivation to get more people to make it (although, hey you still have a week from now.) And as an excuse to get rid of some things that are nice but I don't have room for anymore. And because I'm just so happy to have you all sewing along!


Can't wait to see what you've made this month!












22 comments:

  1. WOw that came out awesome! YOu rock and I'm sure your son will be just as surprised on Christmas day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, you! That does look like it was a lot of work! Great job, and I'm with you on the crooked windows. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! It looks so great! I have everything I need to make it but haven't started. Think I could finish it in a week? It would be great to get it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun. I plan on finishing mine for Christmas, so a bit of failure on my part, as in, I made nothing from the book, but knit tons of scarves for orders. LOSER. Anyways, I can't wait to see what everyone made. The curtains look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow - that's pretty darn clever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great theater! Your son will be very happy for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your puppet theater looks fabulous! I really appreciate you doing the sewalong as it's kept me motivated to do projects out of the book each month...even if they're not the featured projects.:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! The castles are so great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really great job! What a fun gift.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job! Love how you changed it to suit your tastes. Bummer that your surprise got ruined, but kids tend to have short memories anyway. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. How neat. I just stumbled upon your blog today. I've already done the hat for Dec but look forward to doing some of the projects with the group in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It turned out great. I got nothing' I just picked up my sewing machine (finally) today....Maybe I'll whip up something this week? Sure would like to win :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! I`m doing a puppet theatre, too!! Mine will be full of clouds, animals and flowers. I`ll show you as soon as I`ve it done

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so stinkin' cute. Seriously! I think the curtains are my favorite part, although the towers are a close second. I bet your little ones will have tons of fun with this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Why did I never think of this when my kids were little??!! The Lizzy House fabric is perfection for this project. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm still working on my puppet theater! Doing this undercover is a lot harder than I expected! Hope to finish it up this weekend. :) Your Peeps version turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. ok, i am a bummed out. i am a new follower and didn't realize when i started that you are doing a oliver and s sew along. i want to make that puppet theatre but i know i will not finish it in one week. bummer! i LOVE LOVE LOVE yours though. and it has pushed me over the edge to make it happen. maybe before christmas... ??

    ReplyDelete
  18. So, so cool!! Love the pearl bracelet window curtains and love the towers theme everywhere...towers within towers within a tower! Love it! Please post this photo to my new Flickr group:

    http://www.flickr.com/groups/freshmodernfabric/

    I would love to see it there!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh. You have been doing some amazing things lately!! Those quilts are to die for and I love your puppet theater! I am sure your thanksgiving table was super cool btw....

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so so so disappointed I couldn't find the time to make this. I was still hoping after reading your wonderful post that I would somehow make it by the deadline and I just couldn't. I'm totally jealous of your seemingly endless amounts of time to sew. ;) We have kiddos just about the same age and well let's put it this way, it's almost 5pm and neither have napped yet. Seriously, I'm going slightly nuts, and adjusting my whole to do list for christmas. So trying not to get disappointed.
    Your theater looks awesome. I love what you did! Sorry to get ranty.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I LOVE your puppet theater!!!! You're right...the window needed to be a little wonky.

    Mine was an epic fail this month. I'm still bound & determined to get it done before Christmas, but it certainly didn't get done by the end of November! Other projects kept bumping it down the list. grr. Regardless. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ugh - I feel behind this month. No project done for this (however I did finish a bunch of hats for a dance recital!). I love your puppet show. It's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.