Friday, January 7, 2011

Kid Cushions

For one of H's Christmas gifts, I made him one of these cushions so that he could have his own little seat in the living room. It's a really great tutorial, especially for trying piping for the first time. The piping seems like a pain when you are doing it, but it's totally worth it and makes things look so much more polished and store-bought.


I used a super-fun fabric from Ikea that I've had forever and didn't know what to do with. I think that guy on the mountain is actually THE lonely goatherd. 


Making the long side strip fit to both circles was a bit tricky, but nothing you can't handle. I ended up having to add a little extra strip of fabric to make it fit, but it looks fine. I think it was just because I didn't have a compass to make my circles with like the tutorial recommends.



The handle is good for toting around and beating your dad with the pillow. My last recommendation would be to add more stuffing than you think you need. I wish this one had just a skosh more. I also made a cute girly version for H's little girlfriend that was brown zebra print with pink piping, but I forgot to take a picture.



Here he is on Christmas day, enjoying Toy Story with his new elephant Mr. Tibs while we packed for Nana and Papa's house. 



 I'm pretty sure he would have asked Santa for one, but he was too busy planning an exit strategy.





3 comments:

  1. I love this! Good job! I am scared of piping. :( maybe I could try this. I really love your blog. I found it on prudent baby when they talked about your sons b'day party. My son is turning 1 in feb and we are doing that birthday theme! :) thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, that is the cutest, great job. I actually thought of Luke immediately when I saw the lonely goatherd. I love the handle on the side.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.