Thursday, February 23, 2012

Sparkle Baby Quilt Done!



I LOVE this quilt. It might be my favorite yet. I made it for a family member, but it is going to be hard to give it up. But at the same time I'm really excited to give it to them. I finally got to use my swapped and hoarded Echino (well, just 4 out of 28 squares, but still) and I think the sparkle block is perfect for them. I really wanted them to stand out, so I only made three of the blocks and then framed them in this fantastic black yarn-dyed Essex linen from Fresh Modern Fabric. I need a LOT more of this stuff. 






It's a little hard to tell, but the quilting lines switch directions a lot and go all over the place. There are places where I was quilting in angles that were less than 45 degrees, which was not easy. But after washing it everything worked itself out.




I left the scooter square un-quilted because I'm going to add some hand stitching there with perle cotton. Can you believe I've never tried it before? I'm hoping it doesn't get too distracting from the design. If it does, I guess I can just cut it out. 



The back is Loulouthi hugs and kisses in gold (which is also the binding) as well as a Michael Miller word search print and another text print from Ikea, and a little more Echino. The quilt ended up about 40" by 45." Thanks for the fun QAL Jeni and Megan!













29 comments:

  1. Love your version of the Sparkle QAL! Very very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I love that scooter fabric. I have a quarter of it somewhere that I'm saving for something fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hopped over from the sparkle linky... I love your quilt, I haven't cut into my precious echino yet, I think you're right, sometimes it's best not to chop up a good print too much! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooo! I love this, perfect perfect with just the three blocks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is really cute! Your quilting is so great-- you must have a lot of patience!

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a great job! I'm so impressed by this! I can't imagine myself being able to quilt in a million years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love how it turned out Jessica! Very original and fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so pretty! I love the idea of showcasing the three blocks. They really pop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this quilt is off the hook! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is awesome! hmmm...do we all hoard echino? i definitely need to use mine after seeing this!! tonight i'm going to start hand stiching the binding to my very first quilt... eeek! yours are so unique- you've got some style! good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh yeah - love your version too!! Your quilting just makes it - so cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing! I love the gray you used, looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness, your Sparkle is amazing. I love the Echino, I love the gray, I love the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow! i love it! that quilting is awesome sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love this! so modern with the three blocks and the quilting is spectacular! i am going to pin the crap out of this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Holy moly, you are a freaking quilting WIZARD!!! Good work!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. that came out great! and i LOVE the quilting :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. i love this , its the perfect quilt for those fabrics, and i really want to get some of that yarn dyed linen!

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE!! It's just perfect, Jessica. Ya did good.

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh WOW I love it. I mean I really really love it. I think keeping it to just three sparkle blocks really makes them pop. *swoon*

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful!!! Your quilting is absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderful quilt! I've been saving my echino fabric for something spectacular. I think this is it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That quilting is amazing...jaw-dropping, amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your take on this. Absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. is there a tutorial or a pattern for this quilt?? I want to make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a quilt-along done by a couple of bloggers. Here is the link to the tutorials:

      http://www.incolororder.com/2011/12/sparkle-quilt-along.html

      Delete
  26. I just made my first quilt, inspired by yours and using the Sparkle QAL. One day I'd like to try something like your Japanese print one - it is also gorgeous, but a bit beyond me at the moment! Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.