Friday, May 11, 2012

PR&P Week 5: Drive Inspired


Here's the thing about me and movies: I'm like a guy when it comes to movies. I like intense movies with good plot twists and fast car chases and even a tasteful amount of gunfire. I also enjoy a little Ryan Gosling, so in that way I suppose I'm all girl. Recently my husband and I rented a movie that was the perfect cocktail of all these elements called "Drive." It's fantastic. The maniacal gangsters, the speeding cars, the weird eighties synth soundtrack, the romantic tension on an elevator, and of course the Gosling element. And OH, the scorpion jacket. I had other ideas for what to make this week, things from movies you might feel a little more nostalgic about... but I kept coming back to this quilted satin driving jacket with a stinkin gold scorpion on the back. I NEEDED to make this jacket.


When you hear "quilted satin jacket" cool is not the first thing that comes to mind. In fact, a quilted jacket is normally something I would probably make fun of a little. But come on, this thing is just badass. I've never sewn anything with satin before, but after shopping in the prom fabrics section for my 3yo boy for this stuff, there was no going back. It snags and frays really easily, so I just had to be careful of that. I cut out my jacket pattern pieces first, out of the satin and Pellon fleece lining from Sewn Studio. I quilted those two layers together with a diamond grid on each piece, then put them all together, adding black piping around the sleeve seams. I made a lining in black cotton from the same pattern and connected it to the jacket when I added all the black ribbing. The basic pattern I started with was the 2-in-1 jacket from the book Sewing For Boys, also available at Sewn. (I love that book!)




The scorpion is just acrylic paint. I made a freezer paper stencil of the original with an exacto knife so I could get the exact shape and placement right on the jacket. Then I went back in and added shading in some areas with a darker shade of gold. In person, the brush strokes almost give the illusion of thick embroidery stitches.



My husband obviously thinks this is the coolest thing I have ever created. I would have a hard time arguing with him. Did you notice Hendrix's hair is a bit more Gosling-esque? He has always had longish curly hair. I keep it trimmed myself regularly, but he has never has a real short boy haircut. I convinced Nick to get it cut for our photoshoot and I love it! So handsome and ready for sweaty summer. Nick was so helpful this week and very enthusiastic about recreating the feel of the movie in the photoshoot, which he totally did. (You know, minus blood splatters all over the jacket!)




The t-shirt I made by cutting from an old shirt of mine that happened to have that perfect button neckline, just like what he wears in the movie. I also made slim 5-pocket jeans from dark wash Robert Kaufman denim from Sewn. That is the nicest denim EVER to sew with.

I'm so happy with this thing, and really excited that I got to sew for my boy again in the competition. I need to go watch some Drive right about now. Ok, I'll probably wait for naptime, I'm NOT that neglectful of a parent- even during Project Run & Play :)


You can go vote right here!




43 comments:

  1. OH, I LOVE that you have made something from one of my favorite movies Drive! Since both me and the director of the movie is Danish I feel a little connection there :-) You got my vote this week! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I love everything about this!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I literally spit my Diet Coke on my computer when I saw this. It is PERFECT. You did such a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute! Love the jacket colour...

    ReplyDelete
  5. yep, you are amazing. i'd love to live by you and get some lessons!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great outfit. It looks like your son enjoys modelling for you. He will be one cool kid among his mates when he wears this outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved it..."and then I made some jeans". You are an awesome designer and sewist - really inspiring and FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to admit, I wasn't a huge fan of the movie. But I can say now that it was worth seeing just so that I can fully appreciate this mini version of the jacket. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't seen the movie, but that outfit is tough, cool and adorable all at the same time! Amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So awesome, Jessica! I've never seen the movie, but I'm sure Hendrix is way more cool than Ryan Gosling ever could be! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! You did it again! I haven't seen the movie, either, but if I ever do, I'll be thinking of your awesome outfit! :) What a cool little model you have!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So so awesome! You are rocking this competition! Love to see the "boy sewing". :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Drive is one of my favorite movies, I've seen it four or five times, and I'll have the soundtrack on repeat all day after seeing this awesomeness! I am FREAKING OUT over how amazing you are. I want to fly over and give you a giant high five and a bear hug. The design is great, it took a lot of guts for you to pick this movie, and the sewing difficulty level is off the charts! You rock my world. Will you marry me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, this Internet relationship is moving so fast! But yes, of course I will.

      Delete
    2. Yay! Off to divorce the husband...

      Delete
  14. Seriously you are completely spanking the competition. This is amazing! I always feel like the clothes that is made for the little girls during this contest are always a little too not wearable. It seems that everything you have made has seriously been wearable and just full of awesomness! I am in complete awe of your mad skills.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that you sewed for your son again, and that you actually shot in a parking garage! It's so great to see awesome boys wear on PR&P. Maybe we need to do a boys only spin off ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The construction details on this outfit are just fan-freakin'-tastic! I love the little jeans. Now I'm wishing I had more hours in the day for more sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I mean! Wow. Wow. So cute and very clever. And you made jeans. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So freaking cool! I will admit that I wasn't a huge fan of Drive, but I totally remember this outfit. That satin jacket is pretty amazing. You are doing such a great job in this competition!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome jacket! Man I love Ryan Gosling and now everytime I look at this coat I just want to smile :D Hmmmm Ryan Gosling

    ReplyDelete
  20. That whole outfit is... well, I don't want to say "awesome" because everyone elsa has said it, but THAT is what it IS. I love those jeans, and the jacket is perfect. The photos just radiated the fun you were having.

    Not only did you show off some major sewing chops, but set the stage for some family photo fun. Win!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I. LOVE. THIS. So precious and so well detailed. I sincerely hope to be as good of a seamstress one day as what your work and creativity displays.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh.my.. this is just.. no words. That little man is styling!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can't tell you how much I love this. A bold choice, and sewn to perfection! You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just stumbled across your blog from home made by Jill. Awesome jacket. And that was a crazy good movie. And I also happen to have a little guy named Hendrix!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awww, I'm sorry I didn't get around to your blog in time to vote. But this is AMAZING. WOW, J! You are so talented! I love the quiltiness (although, I also would have probably made fun of something like this!). It's so cool, and it doesn't hurt that H is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  26. i have obviously been hiding under a rock because i totally missed this post and am so sorry i didn't see it before the voting was over! i love this jacket! it is amazing jess! and your "and then i made some jeans" holy crap! you are so talented, a complete master sewer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. so cute child.. I also have the same scorpion drive jacket and no doubt it is awesome jacket from the collection of Ryan Gosling.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love to wear this drive jacket Awesome Quality and Fits Perfectly. Such a soft and classy Fabric. Looks a little bit loose on me. But no issue, it’s a delightful wear for me.

    http://www.celebswear.com/products/Ryan-Gosling-Drive-Scorpion-Jacket.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. When I first saw Drive, I did not like it that much. May be its because the fist impression of it was not that "extraordinary" on me, but when I happened to watch it for the second time, I saw something, which I had missed watching the movie first time. Gosling's acting was spot on. He barely showed any emotion throughout the movie and that was needed for a getaway driver working with the criminals. One thing I have to say more, Gosling's jacket was simply wonderful. Everything associated with the jacket was good and the golden Scorpion at the back was the best! It was something he really needed to look that way.
    http://www.celebsjacket.com/products/Ryan-Gosling-Scorpion-Drive-Jacket.html

    ReplyDelete
  30. When I first saw Drive, its impression over me was not so good. But when I watched it for the second time, I was convinced that I had just watched a masterpiece. Nicolas Winding Refn gave the world a masterpiece with this movie. Here, I have to acknowledge the high-class acting skills of Ryan Gosling. No emotions throughout the movie and that's what being a 'getaway driver' is all about. Also, I can't help admiring his jacket. From the color of it to the golden scorpion at the back, the jacket was submerged in the sea of classiness. By the way, if I compare Gosling's jacket with the one, which this cute boy is wearing; the boy would stand as a winner.
    http://www.celebsjacket.com/products/Ryan-Gosling-Scorpion-Drive-Jacket.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. wow, the kid looks so cute in drive scorpion jackets. everyone has his own dream, maybe the little boy want to be a hero in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Can I place an order for one? Seriously! No joke, I need it for a special kid!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Will you take an order? Seriously, no joke I need the same jacket for a special kid!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. And OH, the scorpion jacket. I had other ideas ... jacketscorpion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. So cute jacket for children i liked so much this jacket if you want to purchase this jacket in reasonable price please visit to this link.

    Drive Scorpion Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  36. Drive is a good mystery movie. Ryan Gosling had worn a jacket in this movie. The jacket is awesome and good look. http://celebrityjackets.co.uk/drive-scorpion-ryan-gosling-satin-jacket.html

    ReplyDelete
  37. I cut out my jacket pattern pieces first, out of the satin and Pellon fleece ... scostumekids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow its so much looks awesome and great on Little child . I think so that he is also big fan of Ryan Gosling to showing the love . Hurry to grab and place your order at http://goo.gl/cUlJc3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.