The charity-bee quilt guilt has lifted! I'm embarrassed to say that this quilt began in my circle of do Good Stitches back in November. November! There are lots of perfectly good and reasonable (psh) excuses for this, but I won't go into that. I will just rejoice that I finished this before all my blocks arrived for the next one. Then things would have really gotten out of hand.
For one thing, I did make things a little hard on myself because I was determined to turn this into a bed-sized quilt for an older boy. The original 12.5" blocks would not pull that off, so I sashed them all in a random log-cabiny way with various icy blue Bella solids. I really like the effect of this. Still not quite twin-sized though, so I had to add a border.
It's about 90" x 75," making it cumbersome to quilt of course, but I kept it simple with my default diagonal lines. I usually like much denser lines, but these are 3 inches apart. The binding is a pixelated houndstooth by Michael Miller (I think.) And the back is a completely crazy-town bright lemon yellow. Half the time I think it's really awesome, and the other half I think my eyes are melting off my face.
This is the block I asked the Harmony girls to make way back in 2011 (the shame!) It was not the simplest assignment, but they did great. I love the black and white prints on all that blue. It makes me think of the Backstreet Boys' fourth album... Shut up, you know exactly what I'm talking about.
I know this full shot is really sad, but it's the best I got after a bazillion attempts over 2 photo shoots. I'm convinced that it's impossible to accurately photograph the colors of this quilt. Also, I suck at it.
Thank you so much Harmony girls for your blocks and your patience! It's all labeled and ready to go to Project Linus this week. I'm so happy to be able to do something like this with quilting because I really feel like I'm honoring the memory of my Nanny. She wouldn't have waited 7 months to do it, but I can improve my turnaround time on the next one :)