I've kept some guiding principals all week, and I think that's what made it successful for me:
- Only using materials I already have. I love using up stash. Takes away the guilt when I go to buy more later.
- Only sewing patterns I've sewn before and already had traced. I know a lot of people love to use this week to try new things, but this has been a huge factor in my productiveness. I've modified some things to keep it interesting or sewn different views. I even drafted a quick tank pattern one night, but that was pretty mindless. Point is, it's the brain extension that really leads to burnout. (And too much tracing. That definitely leads to burnout.) Use your hands, not your brain or knees.
- Sewing things that are really needed. I've mostly sewn staple items for Elsie because she really doesn't have much for the coming warm weather. Filling needs motivates me.
- Blogging and modeling just get in my way. Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying reading some of your blog posts and the clothes are always cuter on the kids. But Elsie is really into "NO!" when it comes to photo shoots, so they eat up a lot of time and stress. Plus the actual post writing on top of that. If I had tried blogging daily, I woulda been done on day two. Kaput. I love you guys for reading here, but this week has been for me and my family, not the blog, and that feels great!
- On the other hand, the social aspect of KCW is very fun and a great motivator. I like to be stroked as much and the next guy. I'm posting every garment to IG (alittlegressica) in real time and then to the Flickr group right from my phone. So glad they improved the flickr ap for iPhones by about 538%. I can take a little break and look at every new thing popping up there easily on my phone for insta-inspiration.
- Don't plan too far ahead. I think that's what killed me in the fall. I had all these things cut out and ready the week before, and then it didn't seem as exciting to sew them anymore. This time, I've left myself more freedom. I sew what I want!
- Finish things. I like to finish things.
- Never waste time on pedestrian tasks like laundry folding or floor mopping. Do waste time going outside with your kids or taking the occasional power nap.
- Coffee. Ungodly amounts of coffee.
You can click on the pictures to go to my Flickr and get more pattern information for each one. It's turning out to be a very Oliver & S week for me, which is great. I love to use the few patterns I have of theirs over and over. (Love or laziness?)
I'll be back Monday to share several more KCW finishes and wrap it all up. What have been your secrets to success this week?