Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Felt Playhouse is Done! (for now)

Happy birthday to Hendrix! And a big sigh of relief for me because this beast of a project is finally over. I have a few things in mind to add on in the future, but I would be fine to not touch this thing for another couple of months.

Despite all the hours wrestling with giant pieces of thick fabric through the machine, it was really fun to come up with the designs, and so satisfying to see it finished. On to the pictures...

This is the front- the uh, entrance to the circus tent. The red panel rolls up under those ties to get out of the way.

I plan on putting a little velcro above the seals' noses for felt balls, and maybe fish. 


The train engine. I love how the colors of the felt even have a vintage feel- just like the Fisher-Price toys that inspired me.

This is the back, kind of a weird angle since it's up against the bookcase. I split this panel into two overlapping pieces so there would be another exit. I also want to add little connecting pieces between all the train cars. 

You can see the lion and giraffe a little better here. I plan on making some funny felt facial features to velcro on, like mustaches, glasses, big teeth, etc. Like a Mr. Potato Head kind of thing- only not a potato...

I think the elephant side might be my favorite.

I'm going to make a few felt peanuts for his bucket. And I left the opening to his mouth open so they can be stuffed inside.

I finished it during his nap this afternoon, so it was on the table when he woke up. This is what he looked like when he first saw it. He loved it! I was fully prepared for him to look at it and then go play with a cereal box or something, but he just started squealing and laughing! 

And running in and out of it over and over. 

He really loved the window. I might have to put some mesh or clear vinyl over it to keep him from trying to climb out. 

Ah, birthday present bliss... This is probably one of the few times in life I'll get the reaction I want as a parent giving a birthday gift- especially one that took this much work! 

I'm gonna go ahead and say what everyone always says: I really cannot believe he's one. We love you so much HG!


(If anyone has questions or wants to know a little more detail about how I made this, let me know and I will be happy to do a separate post. Also, if you want one of these but aren't insane enough to make it, get a beautiful custom one at Imaginative Play Toys. And believe me, after making one myself, I can say that her prices are very reasonable!)

27 comments:

  1. Wow, that is totally impressive. Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you win! You are THE BEST MOM EVER!! You get the award Hands down! and this circus tent is AMAZING!!! I wish we lived closer to one another so you could teach me your ways!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A.W.E.S.O.M.E. Good work, Jessica. That is so awesome. And I used to be pumped when my parents would bring home big empty cardboard boxes for me to play house in. I had no idea what I was missing!!!! Happy birthday Hendrix!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Hendrix! How will you ever top this gift?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome job! I don't know if I'll ever be so motivated but I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. aMazing!!! and i was thinking of getting avery some scooter toy for her birthday...yeAh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did an AMAZING job on this!!!! Lucky kid to have such a talented mommy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH my gosh - it's amazing!!! Really amazing! My son's going to turn 1 in 6 months and I'd love more info on how you made this beauty... I might be up for the undertaking!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Um, can I be a kid again and live in YOUR house?? That is seriously the coolest thing ever. He is going to love that forever...and it's so special that you made it!! I can't wait to see the fun little add-ons you make...don't forget to show us those when they are done! :)

    Happy Birthday, Hendrix!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday Hendrix. Jessica, this looks great, I'm very proud of your creative spirit. We'll see you Friday, love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jessica, It is so beautiful, and so like the original Fisher Price train. The animals are spot on, wow that takes me back. Hendrix looks so big in the pictures and so excited! Can't wait to play in it with him.....Friday, see you then.

    ReplyDelete
  12. yeah, i can't live up to that. it's awesome, though! i bet it was so fun to see his reaction. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness! This is amazing, and I totally want to attempt this! You did a wonderful job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. you are ridiculously talented. You and nick make me sick with all that God given ability. I love you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it! You did such a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW! This is so cute! I love all the animals and the train is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is absolutely amazing. I love love love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So fun to have you post at the Show off Your Stuff Party as well! : ) THanks for linking up! I hope you come back again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. HOw cute! What a fun twist on the playhouse idea. It turned out adorable-I love the animals.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is just incredible!! And Hendrix's expression is just gorgeous - what a lucky boy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your workmanship is fantastic. So beautiful - what a lucky boy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOVE this... did you ever end up doing a tutorial type of post? Id love to see it!
    Haileylada@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just finished my own felt playhouse. I started looking around for inspiration for a second one and saw yours via pinterest. I think that the elephant side is my favorite too--what a cute idea!

    Check out mine at http://www.domesticacademic.com/

    Thanks for sharing your project!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just found your blog and I love it. I have two toddlers and I love sewing kid items and quilting best too (though I did just make a new bag for myself). Your playhouse is amazing. I was actually looking at a pattern for one at Joann's the other day. It was a girlie one and while I do have a girl, I'd like to make one that my son thinks is cool too. I'm hoping you do have a post with more details on your blog. My son is crazy about elephants.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.