Saturday, August 13, 2011

When Stuck in Sewing Hell

You know that thing of when people find out you can sew and then ask you to do some crazy project that sounds like no fun at all? And you say yes for reasons inexplicable?

So the owners of Nick's restaurant asked him if I could make three huge long black fabric panels that would hang up on the ceiling of the restaurant to absorb sound. It's pretty loud in the dining area. They wanted it to be thick, so at first I was going to quilt some black fabric together with batting. But to make it easier, we decided to just buy thick fleece. Well, the only thing stupid Joann's had enough of (12.5 yards) was the ultra-cuddle fleece.

Anyway, I won't bore you with the details, but I've started this project now, there is yardage and lint all over my living room and it's not very close to being finished. And I hate it. With the fire of a thousand suns. They are going to pay me of course, but I'm thinking I might have to ask extra to get my machine serviced after this. The stuff is so thick that I have to sew standing up while pulling it through the machine because it does not feed at all. I know this can't be good for my machine, but I've already committed and started. It's sewing hell. What can I do?

Well, I can procrastinate finishing and instead buy a bunch of fabric online. I don't do this too often now, since working in a LQS. While we do have a great selection, we are a fairly small shop and there will always be some things out there that we don't carry that I need.






Here's what is coming to my mailbox next week. It's all from Fresh Modern Fabric. I really want everything there. It's like the selections are all tailored to my tastes right now.






I'm beginning to think in terms of collecting fabrics for a quilt for me. I doubt that will get started until after Christmas, but I'm excited about it. 





And while perusing Hawthorne Threads, I saw two collections coming out in fall that I am lusting big time-

 






November seems so far away!! (dramatic sigh.)







Other things I'm loving today:


DQS11 before quilting

This amaaaaaaazing mini-quilt. (12 inches!)




The newest Decemberists album
















15 comments:

  1. I used to listen to the decemberist ALL the time! I wonder what happened to that cd...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lint from fleece is enough to drive anyone batty! Which fabrics are you planning on using for the quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tell no one that I sew. No one. My blog is also my secret. Sometimes hard, but mostly kind on my machine. One person knew and asked me to make a Yoda costume for her 18 month old for Halloween last year. I obliged only because she is Rocco's Braille Aide.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so understand!!! hehe, the worst part is that people think you're doing you a favor by keeping you occupied. if they only knew :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate when sewing just gets not fun...that's usually when I chuck the project in the "crap pile" I think I would stay up one night (with LOTS of chocolate) and just get the whole crappy thing done...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is by far the worse sewing hell I've heard. But, just so you know that I get it, I had trouble with people asking me in the beginning too. Now my policy is "no, no, no". As in "no, I don't really take sewing projects." Hehe, I just give them away...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh, spending time sewing something so-not-fun when you could be working with those new beauties would be tough! I'd sit down with a good show (Mad Men), a delicious drink (wine), and something yummy to eat (chocolate) and get it done in one fell swoop. Good luck!

    Oh, and I'm totally with you on the new Echo by Lotta Jansdotter line. Totally!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That black zig zag fabric reminds me of the Project Runway stiltwalker pants!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel you. This last winter I took on a custom sewing order for faux fur shrugs (with sleeves) lined with satin. There were 5 or 6 of them and after I took on the order I found out the sizes ranged from 18 - 28. And not that there's anything wrong with plus size, I just would have charged more and that meant working with lots of bulky fur that didn't want to feed right either. Did I mention I made this on my mom's old kenmore? Twas hell. There were tears, cussing, and I'm pretty sure I threw my scissors and pincushion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think everyone who sews agree's to do "these kind of projects" at some time. No idea why! I know I sure have. I LOVE buying/browsing fabric when I should be working too. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I know just what you mean! I've had a few of those projects, it's almost worse when you're getting paid (but not quite enough for your time) because there's even MORE of an obligation. Ugh, we should all probably be more selfish sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What the what?! Yyou have a blog! And it's totally awesome, too! Can we be friends?

    ReplyDelete
  13. This really made me laugh--because I have the same habit of saying yes--and hating every second of the project! Love your fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I JUST got a fantastic package from Fresh Modern Fabrics and it included some of those same ones!!! She had GREAT service, now the hard part is deciding what to buy next!!! I agree, all her stuff is great, I wish I could buy it all!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I so sorry about your miserable project! It makes my latest not-so-fun project sound like skipping in the park. Bleck! Hope you get through it soon and never accept another job like it again. Glad you treated yourself to a little shopping spree. I treated myself to a bias tape machine in order to get through this project. Although what did I do as soon as I handed over the finished goods? Agree to do it all over again for someone else!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.