Friday, September 30, 2011

LTTSA: Backpack Link Up



Yippee Hurray, it's done! Hendrix loves his new "Penwin pack-pack." I used a fine-whale charcoal gray corduroy, some solids from my stash and two black buttons from a vintage button collection my mother gave me.





On the inside, I used this odd green print that I don't love, but it's been sitting around too long and needed to be used. I do, however, love the red zipper I chose. I still want to add a zipper pull like some of you did, I think I might try something like this cute cuteness.


Let me just say a few things about this pattern:

1. Holy hell, that was a lot of pattern pieces to cut out, especially since I interfaced every single thing.
But my goodness, it was worth it because it's uber adorable.

2. Son of a beesting, I still loathe handstitching. Really not my strong suit. You can see my giant black stitches in the upper left corner there, so I'm guessing that's not a blindstitch. It took me two entire episodes of the Daily Show just to do one side. I'm the slowest ever. And that was after ripping out my first attempt and starting over. And after all that my fingers were bleeding... ok, that's a complete lie, I'm just being a wuss.

3. What the cuss, I may just have to sign Hendrix up for preschool now just so he can use this thing every day. Ok, I probably won't do that just yet...




Alright, can't wait to see all of yours! Remember you have to link up by October 7th at the latest to be entered into the giveaway for the Oliver & S pattern of your choice. (2 giveaways in one week? Whose blog is this?)

Next week we'll begin the bias-trimmed apron. You could also make the artist smock if you like that better, but that one has a kind of girly shape, which is why I'm making the apron. If your kids are really small, you could try a couple bibs, or if they are older, maybe the bento box carrier. Anyway, we'll talk next week about supplies and bias tape (which I have an odd amount of love for.)

Thanks for playing along everyone, this is really too much fun!














17 comments:

  1. Your little "penwin" is too freaking cute. I love his eyes, and the red zipper is perfect. So cute, Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the buttons you chose for the eyes and definitely the red zipper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The red zipper is my favorite part. Love the corduroy! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the backpack! It looks really, really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww... so cute! I hear ya on all the pattern pieces... I'm interfacing all of mine, too! Plus I have some 'extras' that you'll see later (or even a peek on my blog today). I won't get it finished today, most likely, but MUST have it done by Tuesday, because I promised my granddaughter. Pretty good incentive. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You "Penwin pack-pack" is really very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the pop of red from the zipper! You did a great job on your backpack!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE the zipper. I wished you'd mentioned that before I bought my material. :) I also love the super fine corduroy, it looks great. Then there's the eyes, those were a great choice. I noticed their cuteness right away then when you said they were antique I said, ah that's why I didn't see anything like that at my fabric store.
    Ordered the material for the apron! I'm so excited about what I chose I am not sure I can hold it in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a question for anyone who's completed theirs! How do you like the placement of the straps? All other backpacks I've looked at have the straps coming from the top of the pack and attached at the lower sides, rather than at the bottom. Do you think they are okay the way this pattern calls for, or might the other way be better? Trying to figure this out before I attach mine. Thanks for any suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute. I love the cordoroy. Thanks for encouraging us all on this project, I probably wouldn't have tackled it otherwise. Now to work on next month!

    Grandma G- I think the strap placement is super cute this way but I've noticed the top of the backpack sits up high at my sons neck because of it...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute! I felt like the cutting-out-pattern-pieces part would never end too. Like everyone else, I love your choice of corduroy and red zip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute - and I agree - I'm not a fan of hand-stitching. I'm not going to get mine finished in time for the month. I have the material, but have done nothing else (including cutting out the pattern!). So I'll just have to start on the smock or the apron (I haven't decided which). I can't wait to see how everyone else's turned out, though:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jessica, your backpack is SO cute...and so are the linked up ones! I'm so hopelessly out of order with my LTTS projects... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your backpack turned out really cute! And I love the look of corduroy for this pattern. Thanks for the link-up and the push I needed to get this project done, my little guy loves his :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sneaking in really late! :o This was a fun though! Now heading to take a better look at everyone else's!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How did I not comment on your backpack yet? I love that you used corduroy and I think next time I will interface all the pieces too. I had expected the twill I used would give enough structure, but mine's still pretty floppy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.