Wednesday, October 26, 2011

LTTSA: Bias Tape decisions and a swap idea



Last night I finally got around to making my bias tape. A LOT of bias tape. There are about nine yards of the stripes and 10-11 of the green. And that's all from half-ish yards of fabric to start off. Yowzers.




So now I can't decide which to use on the yellow striped apron. The obvious answer would be the green because it's more contrasty. But I kind of like the subtle stripe-on-stripe action too. I really just like striped bindings. But do you think it's too light? Too babyish? Too many stripes? Maybe I just think baby because H's crib skirt was made from this fabric. Anyway, I like them both. You decide for me.


Now let's talk a little more about bias tape. Most of you will probably go pre-made for the apron, which you should not feel ashamed of at all. Making your own really does make the project take about twice as long and it can be tedious. But there is something about those tedious tasks that I really like taking the time for sometimes.

So if you decide to make it for this or any other project, you could do it this way (great post about bias tape in general) which is pretty much how the back of our book explains it.

But I do it this way, which was taught to me by my friend Julie. The difference is that you cut it in a way that it's one long continuous strip, instead of cutting the strips first and then having to sew each one together. It's pretty brilliant once you get the hang of it.

You don't need a fancy bias tape machine (though that would be nice), you just need one of those doo-hickies pictured in my first photo here. Just be sure you buy the size that is twice what you want your finished double-fold bias tape to be. For example, I mostly just want 1/2 inch tape, so I bought a 1 inch bias tape maker. They run about $6-$7. Tip: Some instructions will say to cut your strips to 2" for 1/2" tape. But I've found it runs through the maker much easier if I cut the strips to 1 7/8"

If you are unsure about actually applying the bias tape, I'm going to send you to another great Prudent Baby tutorial. (Geez Jessica, this would have been helpful last week when I was actually making my apron. I know, lame of me.)


So here's an idea I had when I was making a bazillion yards of this stuff:


Since just a half yard of fabric makes 9-10 yards of 1/2" tape, you will usually be left with a good amount after whatever project you are working on is done. And then you will get sick of that particular print of bias tape before you use it all up.

So what if we did some kind of homemade bias tape swap??

I'd have to work out the details, but it would probably look something like everyone buying a 1/2 yard of a cute print, making it into tape, then dividing it into 3 three-yard portions. Then you'd send two of those to me, I'd mix them all up and you'd get two different prints back. Does that make sense? If you wanted to get more, you could make as many half-yard's worths as you wanted.

There is no way I picture being able to organize this before the holidays, but is this something anyone would be interested in for sometime in the new year? Can you just imagine all the cute varieties of print bias tape wrapped on cards and lined up on your sewing table? I can. And I love it. Let me know if there's any interest, because I think it's a pretty fun idea!

The apron link party will start Monday. I know that's Halloween (woohoo!) but as always, you'll have a week to join in before I pick a winner for the Mama Stellato giveaway.




I'll leave you with this. But be careful, you might just want to watch it over and over for the rest of the day. (found here.)













28 comments:

  1. I'm totally interested in the bias tape swap.

    Melinda
    www.melindajanedesigns.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link to the bias tape tutorial. I love the idea of making it that way, and I can't wait to give it a try. And I think that the bias tape swap is a great idea. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a heap of quilts that I'm going to have to bind here pretty quick (oh how I'm coveting those fancy machines right now!), so I'm definitely going to try it the sew-in-a-cylinder way that you've posted.

    The idea of a bias tape swap is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love making bias tape the big loop way. well, love it more than making it any other way at least ;) i would be totally in for a bias tape swap! oh, and i vote for the stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where did you get the bias tape maker thing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got mine where I work, but they do have them at joann's. They are clover brand, 1 inch bias tape maker.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm definitely interested in the swap - count me in after the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bias tape swap sounds fun, especially if we wait until after December!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the stripe-on-stripe idea for your apron better than the green! It doesn't seem babyish to me at all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What you call "Julie's method" is my preferred method though I do all the folding by hand. I need to invest in a little tape maker.

    I'm lukewarm on the tape swap. I really like the idea, yet I try really hard to only keep fabric and notions around that have intended application and purpose. (Try really hard, fail frequently... so maybe.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A bias tape swap sounds like tons of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think a bias tape swap would be fun! And oh my goodness, that spiral way of making the stuff is genius. I never would have thought of that!

    I'm also voting on the striped one for your apron. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'd be up for a bias tapes swap! My sister and I think that bias is one of those truly satisfying things about sewing. Well, for us anyway! :) Might have to give that spiral way a go.

    ReplyDelete
  14. GREEN! :)

    I'd be interested in the bias tape swap in the new year...guess that means I need to actually learn how to make some on my own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I vote for the stripes. In fact I like them so much that I want to vote twice ;)
    I would be interested in a post-holiday swap. Between thinking about packing up my house (and actually needing to do that) and all the holiday chaos, I would not be able to participate until January anyways. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, yes, yes, I would bias tape swap with the best of them. And, I like the stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Color me interested! The bias tape swap sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey, that's how I usually make bias tape, too! My mom taught me how. Oh, and I vote stripe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really can't decide which bias tape you should use! First instinct was the green, but I love, love, love the diagonal stripe and it would looks great too!

    I'd be up for a swap! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds fun! As for the bias tape maker tool, look what I found on Pinterest! A free template for one made from card stock paper. Very clever! Link below.
    http://scientificseamstress.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. I vote for the green. I like the contrast better. And a bias tape swap sounds super fun! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Green jumped out at me.

    I'm up for a swap, but living in Europe might make trading with me too expensive...:(

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'd be very excited to have a bias tape swap!

    Also, I'm joining in on the LTTS this month with a couple of aprons! I can't wait to see what everyone does!

    ReplyDelete
  24. So glad you're not thinking of doing this over the next couple of months because I would love to participate. I'll keep my eye out.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would be interested in the swap!

    I personally like the green bias tape, but go with the stripes if that's what speaks to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would totally be in on the swap. Good thing to do it later though :) I like both your choices. The yellow on yellow looks pretty cute, excited to see what you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi, I found your blog on the Cotton and Curls refashion nation and I love it!
    Hope your having a good day =)
    http://shannonolson.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.