Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The One I Love to Hate Making

It's curtains. They are probably the most mundane and boring thing to make ever. But once I finish making them, I immediately feel a great satisfaction and want to make more. Is it just me?


So I have two of these new ones in the living room. The fabric is Dear Stella, which I got here with some of my Project Run & Play winnings. (Though they seem to be out of this particular print.) I wanted something light and summery. We live in a little apartment that we can't paint, and at first I thought I had picked something too dull against our boring off-white walls. But after a day or two I started to love the way they looked. It's a great neutral feel that allows for all kinds of colorful quilts and pillows. 



This is what the old panels looked like. They were my very first sewing project almost 5 years ago! It's a pretty fabric, but I just got so sick of all the brown. Time for a change. 



Like I said, after those were finished I felt I was on a window-face-lifting roll, so I made a new one for my dining room as well. It's pink. PINK! I never buy pink fabric. Or pink anything. This was on way clearance, so the 2.5 yards for one panel only ran me $7. It was meant for something else, but at that price, why not try a pink curtain for a while? Nick was pretty stoic about my unannounced girly pinksplosion. It was much more satisfying than actually cleaning my window, obviously.





Then yesterday at work, I had the great pleasure of unwrapping Anna Maria Horner's new Field Study line straight off the UPS truck. I could not stop obsessing over these prints and all the things I wanted to make with them. If you aren't convinced, just know that they are stunning in person. I managed to leave work without buying a single bit of it, but as you can see I made some tentative plans. Of course, not all of these will come to fruition, but it sure is fun to fantasize.




And I really want to make a quilt with these softer and oranger colors. Sooooooo gorgeous.







11 comments:

  1. the butterfly print would be a great whole cloth baby quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also always dread making curtains, but refuse to pay the ridiculous prices in the stores. I also use a lot of clearance fabrics for the panels, keep them up a year or two, and then cut up and use thefabric in quilts~~it is so great to have a change every so often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gaaaah! Those fabrics! I want to make a Washi tunic in the Feathers - either Whisper or Pomegranate. Can't wait to see which of those projects DO come to fruition. Those sundial ones are so fun and ooh, that yellow one (second from the bottom in the last pic) is awfully fun too! I kinda see washis all over the place now. Should I have my vision checked?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, curtains are the worst. And AMH is the best! Gotta get my hands on some of that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ....I've never made curtains. Lol. They scare me like making pillow covers does! But now my neighbor is asking me to make a curtain for her so I have to suck it up and do it. Damnit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That butterfly fabric is just scrumptious!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh field study! i want it all! awesome curtains! i am super impressed with you! i have NEVER made any curtains, i feel like i would suck at it! p.s. i love exclamation points!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean about curtains. Such a simple project, yet I always put it off.

    The scale on those prints is huge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am exceedingly jealous of you. I just want you to know that. K.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you showed us your curtains. They make me think we don't see the inside of your house often? I like seeing inside. Because I'm a stalker, So, yeah.

    Oh, and thanks for showing some Field Study! I like the fabric you chose for "dress for me". Can you make me one too? Ok, just make it for yourself to inspire me then? Please?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just succumbed and ordered some Field Study...just some FQs though. I am pretty sure once I see it in person, I am gonna want to buy a bunch more for other stuff like you.

    I have one little measly curtain to make for my kitchen and I just haven't done it either...it's just a couple of hems too, which makes it all the more stupid that I haven't just sucked it up and finished. ha ha. Yours turned out beautiful -- there is something about having some of your fav fabrics just hanging around the house, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.