Thursday, August 2, 2012

Walk in the Woods Quilt


I love when I am motivated to actually finish a project that's been in waiting far too long. I don't have too many of those, because I really like to finish quilts. (Let's all just forget about my 2 Swoon blocks languishing in purgatory.) Finishing is the best feeling, plus I am usually making some kind of gift with a deadline. 





But this was a quilt top I made back in November for no reason in particular. The patchwork in the middle is made from a small sample pack of Aneela Hoey's Walk in the Woods line that my boss brought me back from fall quilt market. After I sewed all the squares together, I thought maybe it could become a baby girl quilt pretty easily, so I used some things from my stash to improv some log cabin stuff around it. That pink and red wave is from Liesl Gibson's Modern Workshop line, and I love how well it works with Walk in the Woods. I also love how the large Ikea script print works in the quilt. 




I'm pretty excited about the free-motion quilting here. It's only my second or third attempt, and it came out just like I envisioned it. All the loopty loops just go in horizontal lines across the quilt with a couple inches between. I feel like at this point the only way that I can handle FMQ is to go generally in one direction. I'm not good at the all-over every direction stuff because I get too stressed out. Maybe I try to go to fast? Maybe I need to make a better plan of attack about where I will travel? I don't know, I'll work on it. 




The entire back is the same AMH Mixed Signals print in blue that I used some on the top. That particular print seems to be useful for many things, so I'm glad I still have a couple yards hanging around. The binding is from Bonnie and Camille's Ruby line, plus a little of the Modern Workshop waves again in the corner. 




Here is a section of the quilting you can see a bit better. I still prefer straight line quilting for lots of reasons, but I really think this design works with this quilt and fabric line well. Plus it was SO fast to do. Sometimes fast is necessary and ok, so maybe I should make better friends with free-motion quilting. (Lately I've seen and heard many great things about this FMQ book)



So I'm really glad the 100 Quilts for Kids charity drive gave me the push to finish this one up. More info on that right here.




Swim, Bike, Quilt



AND since I just heard yesterday that the newest Craft Hope project is all about quilts for the wildfire victims out West, I've decided to ship this one to Pheonix Quilts in Utah. The project runs until September 15, but they are even accepting unfinished quilt tops and blocks. So maybe you have something waiting in quilt purgatory too that would rather be used in Utah? 



13 comments:

  1. Oh, I just love it! Really nice job - and excellent FMQ too! I'm way too big a chicken to try it - every time I consider trying it I end up thinking "Well.....maybe I'll just use my fabric marker and then draw a pattern and follow it!" I'm pretty sure that defeats the purpose....not so much "free motion" as "type A anal retentive motion". Oh well...one of these days I'll be brave!!

    Good for you, and excellent cause!

    xo

    Christy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did so well on the quilting. I SUCK at machine quilting. And like you, I much prefer straight lines. But FMQ is an art for sure, and I'd love to learn it. Props to you for venturing into FMQ territory and conquering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your free motion quilting is lovely! and that quilt is so sweet. my dirty secret: i haven't tried fmq yet. mostly because i, too, like the look of straight line quilting best. but i was going to try it this morning on a small project and it seems the lever that lowers my feed dogs is stuck in the up position. i'm taking that as a sign to keep on with the straight line. or get a new sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really nice & your fmq is great. I also find this 'pattern' very doable, and it's a fun look. Of the overall patterns, so far pebbles is my most successful, and a swirly loopy thing - basically what you did here but start moving around with it a bit....anyway your quilt is terrific & congrats on the finish of a w.i.p.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty, you do gooder you. Always love your fabric choices and love the FMQ! My foot is still in its packaging...

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE! I love fabric choices and that quilting is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's lovely! I agree; that Ikea text print works so well here! And your quilting looks fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love the quilting! it's perfect for such a whimsical quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks great! I love the composition and fmq.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE this quilt. I am head over heels with your fabric choice. I agree with you on the Ikea fabric; it really works well.
    Your free motion quilting looks fabulous too! How did you learn that? Youtube or class? I would love to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. your quilting is so pretty! it is a really great quilt jess!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love everything about this quilt. It's beautiful. And I love Angela's book..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been trying to get that Ikea print for for-evah!!! Love it. And seriously, your quilting looks fantabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.