Thursday, November 8, 2012

Fall Franken-bag and a Favor.

You just had to click over from your reader because of that fancy alliteration right? Gets 'em every time.



This week I decided to neglect all things more pressing and make myself a new fall bag. The pattern is Anna Maria Horner's Multi-Tasker Tote, which my sweet friend Heidi was kind enough to loan me. She sews like a boss, by the way.




This bag is ginormous. Which is great, because I've been carrying the same ugly boring diaper bag since my 3.5 year old was born. This definitely has enough cargo space to replace it. And the pocket panels on each side are actually divided, so there are four outside pockets for easy access to phones, wallets, behavior bribery, etc. 







This was a great pattern to follow. The construction of the bag is unlike any other I've sewn before, but it really makes a lot of sense. The boxed bottom is nice and sturdy with a double layer of peltex inside. Of course a bag this large requires a lot of fabric- I think it was supposed to be 1 yard for the exterior and 2 yards for the lining, pocket panels, and straps. But I really wanted to use this awesome Melody Miller panel I got down at Whipstitch in June (when I met Melody!) So I used three different fabrics I had on hand for the rest of it- Some AMH panels, some Valori Wells lining, and some Tina Givens straps (I think?). I love using up my stash so much. It almost gives me the same rush I get when I buy new fabric. Almost. So the resulting Franken-bag is a bit crazy, but I'm digging all the fall colors together. And the Melody fabric really makes it seem like 2 different bags with the different colors on each side. 




Here's the very roomy inside. I kinda wish I had added another one of those pockets on the other side big enough for Elsie's diapers. It will still work though. 





Now, if you would do me a kindness? My Japanese + & x quilt made it to the top 5 quilts in the scrap category at the Blogger's Quilt Festival! Go here to vote for me, just scroll down to the last category and you'll find it. I'd love it so much if you did!












9 comments:

  1. Love alliterations, love the bag and love the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like bags that have lots of different fabric. it is beautiful my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This bag is perfect!! I love everything about it and wish it was mine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the nomination, Jessica! You're right, the bag is so multifaceted. Glad I don't have to decide which is my favorite side=)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica, I pinned your quilt on my Pinterest board Quilty Goodness, and I think it's the leader in repins too! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the fabrics you paired together! It's so funky! Hope your quilt wins!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your bag very much. Also voted for you. Good luck girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was too late to vote for you, but my fingers are crossed! And I love your new bag. I just bought a piece of Melody's panel (don't think it's the same one you have here), and a dying to make it into something fun! <3 And yeah, the alliteration is what brought me here. That's it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm pretty sure I voted for this quilt the other day! Absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.