Friday, November 30, 2012

Holiday Handmades and Going Viral




The ice cream truck must have been driving by or something.... in November... twice. 





The week before Thanksgiving I decided the kids needed some new thankful duds. Hendrix got a shirt that was already cut out and waiting in the pile of KCWC leftovers. (You remember, the one where I planned like 18 garments and actually sewed 2.)

It's the Easy Linen Shirt pattern from Sewing For Boys. I liked it because it's a somewhat structured woven shirt, but without the real collar and placket. So it was a really quick sew. I used a gray striped linen from Joann. 




And Elsie got her first ever dress sewn from an Oliver & S pattern. For some reason this was momentous to me. Maybe I've just been waiting so long to make one just for her, since I've made two as shop samples. 

And the pattern did not disappoint. It's the Family Reunion Dress, size 18-24 months, made up in AMH Field Study and Michael Miller's mirror ball dots on the contrast. Both are from Sewn Studio. I just love how sweet this design is, especially on a younger girl. All the pin tucks remind me of vintage children's clothing, and it has the most perfect gathered sleeve. 



As if shimmery fabric and glittery shoes weren't enough, I really went for the holiday glam with these glass buttons. They are a little tarnished because they're from the vintage collection my mom gave me, but they are still very sparkly in person. I love them A LOT on this dress. 






Today I also wanted to show you this absolutely gorgeous pillow I received in the flickr Pillow Talk Swap.  It was made by Jenn and she really got me. I love the soft colors, the gray and yellow together, and the great straight line quilting. She used several of my current favorite fabrics, and the pop of aqua in the binding is perfect. We are loving it in the living room!







One last thing! Have you guys seen these guys around lately? It's kind of crazy to me where my little felt Peanuts ornaments are popping up. After they got pinned by a few of the right people, they were featured on Makezine. Then yesterday they were on Huffpost Home (What?!) and today they are on Buzzfeed.

Is reaching Buzzfeed the standard for going viral? Probably not, but it's fun.






24 comments:

  1. I just love that dress. And also, how awesome is that?! I'm so happy you are getting all this attention. You make such awesome stuff, and you deserve every single view you are getting. I'm just thrilled for you, Jessica. Thanks for being a part of the craft bash! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally in love with that dress!!! Those buttons are just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love, that dress!!! I've just begun sewing clothes and have been using Oliver+S to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool is that?! Your Peanuts ornaments are awesome...I'm not surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the dress and big congrats on the success of your very very cute Peanuts ornaments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had that shirt on my to do list too...alas...who knows now...springtime?...and I love that dress!! So pretty! I am totally in love with that fabric. I am making a 241 tote with it right now and I must get some more for another project! And Congrats on your ornaments! I am thinking about making some for my brother in law who loves Charlie Brown and gang! ;) happy weekend to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok, so i know you are awesome for making the coolest clothes for you kids (i adore elsie's dress!) and getting featured on huffpo (!!!) and whatnot, but the main reason why i love you so much right now is that you call joann by its proper name. i know it shouldn't drive me crazy when people call it joann's, but it totally does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This cracked me up because o am totally guilty as charged :-)

      Delete
  8. Pretty sure appearance on buzzfeed qualifies as going viral. Congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous version of this dress. I love the way the circles brings the fabrics together. I haven't made this pattern as yet but may have to before my girl gets too big.
    Suzie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you go, girl! it's so awesome to see your stuff popping up everywhere. ya, you! i can't imagine how much work you put into all the tutorials you've been doing this last month, you deserve the recognition!

    love the clothes- are you starting to feel the girl sewing mojo?

    ReplyDelete
  11. darling outfits for the kids and congrats on viral! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Huff post? That's amazing! Congratulations!
    And I just have to say that I am in love with your version of this dress! I finally got around too tracing this pattern but I couldn't decide what type of fabrics that I wanted to use... Yours is a great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your little girl's dress! I wish I had one just like it for Haila, she would love it, too!! Congrats again on the Huff-post mention! That is one of my all time favorite places to get my news and read -- I love them even more now for recognizing the awesomeness that is Jessica Rider! You deserve it!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. love love love that dress, the fabric is so perfect and it looks so cute on her!!! and those buttons totally holiday it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh that dress - and the shirt. I have some linen leftover from a project that might find itself ending in a shirt. Loved those ornaments too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The dress and the shirt- great, cute. Going viral? So cool! =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Elsie is somehow looking so grownup in her awesome Christmas dress, and yeah you're pretty much the bees knees for going viral. GET AFTER IT, GIRL.

    ReplyDelete
  18. their outfits are so cute! I love the manly look with the stripes, and the amh for the dress is great!

    Now I'm gonna run out of here before I catch a virus?....did I hear you were viral?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay for going viral! Elsie is so adorable in her Christmas dress! I need to get that pattern - and I love the fabrics you used, they're perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's so awesome!! I think yes. It is the same. And I just love Elsie's new dress!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That dress looks stunning!!!
    I've made the music box jumper dress, but think I now need to get this pattern!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. After perusing your blog for an hour (which I discovered through Jaceycraft and the holiday projects) I decided to purchase some patterns for making boy and girl clothing (something on my bucket list). I've gotten better at quilting/piecing but I do want to branch out to clothing. Your blog is making that seem really plausible. Someone who's capable of talent, humor, and creativity, and presenting quality handmade items. Thanks so much!

    Fawn

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.