Friday, March 11, 2011

Lamp Makeover




I bought this funky lamp on Craigslist a couple of years ago for $15. I kind of loved the ugliness of it, but also knew I wanted to paint over that striped avocado eventually. Nesting urgency made it happen.


I had to use lots of coats of this slightly metallic cappuccino-colored spray paint because of that weird bumpy texture. But I wanted to keep the base the same color, so I utilized this secret substance:
Play-do. I taped down some magazine pages around most of the base, but then squished soft play-do in the recessed part. It worked like a charm. How very resourceful. 


After the painting, I ripped the old yellowed fabric off the plastic part of the shade and recovered it with this wordy fabric from Ikea. I just used spray adhesive. Then I used mod-podge to stick on gray quilt binding for the trim. We love the results!







Another project to join in :)















4 comments:

  1. You have made an adorable change!Your lamp is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy moly! you are an expert with that fabric. I LOVE it. I saw it when I was there the other day, but I held off because I think I may have enough going on already in his teeeny room. You should send this into Design Sponge or Apt Therapy. I might do it for you:) good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess,I love it, the fABRIC looks great and fun and very unique.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.