Monday, January 30, 2012

LTTSA: Bear Carrier Link Up


As soon as I finished this girly little carrier, I realized how sexist I am. For some reason I just assumed this one wouldn't be for Hendrix so I stuck pink flowery straps on it. But then I finished it and realized he would probably love toting around his "Doggie" in it. He's had this brown stuffed dog since he was born and he carries it around everywhere. So many times, I'll see him doing something that would be so much easier to do if he just put the damn thing down, but he refuses. It's always tucked under his arm. But for some reason I am living in the 50's and only pictured a toy like this being enjoyed by a girl. I'm pretty sure Nick toted both our babies around in carriers just as much as I did, if not more. Just call me a chauvinist.






You may notice that said Doggie is conspicuously absent from these pictures, and replaced by this lackluster bear that was apparently attacked by rainbows. This post is coming to you from our vacation to sunny Florida. (Yay!) Being the genius parents that we are, we realized about 3 hours into the 17 hour car ride down here that we had somehow left Doggie at home.

I had a bit of an inner freak out. This was obviously going to be a very long trip to make with two little kids and we really didn't need any circumstances adding to the potential hellishness. We were counting on the kids sleeping most of the trip, since we were driving thru the night. Hendrix always hugs his Doggie when he sleeps, he needs his Doggie to sleep.

I began searching on my phone to see if we would be driving by any Ikeas, since that's where thousands of these identical doggies reside in big white bins. Sure, a new doggie would not have snot-dreadlocked fur and a completely limp neck, so it probably wouldn't have satisfied anyway. And it turns out, the Atlanta Ikea is not open at 3 AM. Weird.

Anyway, it was not an issue on the car ride at all. He slept fine and never mentioned it once. Not one whimper of the doggie. The next day we had settled at Grammy's house and I was reading him a book before his nap. He abruptly interrupted with, "Hey! Where's my Doggie?" I replied softly that we had left him at home and then winced, waiting for the storm of grieving that was sure to follow. He lackadaisically replied, "Oh." I finished the book. He went to sleep. We have been here 4 days and he has not mentioned it since.

What is the moral of this story? I'm not really sure. Probably that I want him to hang on to this vestige of childhood more than he does. I'm mostly the kind of mom that wants to help my kids grow up and learn independence. I'm not at all sentimental about these kinds of things, like moving the newborn out of our room, or even the end of nursing. That part of me knows that this is the perfect opportunity to go home, hide Doggie before he remembers their lifelong love affair, and break the habit for good.

But I'm pretty sure I'd much rather see Doggie tucked under my boy's arm for a little bit longer... Or in a girly pink carrier.





Alright patient friends, time to link up your projects from Little Things to Sew. They may or may not have a sappy story attached, definitely not required. Remember, you have until one week from now, and everyone who made something will be entered to win a free digital pattern from Oliver & S. Can't wait to see your stuff!


P.S. If you are reading this on Tuesday, I'm at Disney World! Yahoo!!!




















12 comments:

  1. It came out so well!! The denim was a great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Disneyworld! I hope you're having a blast!

    This carrier is so cute. I finally ordered this book and have been pacing waiting for it to arrive in the mail. Your projects have all been adorable, so that definitely spurred the purchase. Good news about the doggie too! We've had those same sort of lovey issues (when my now 9 year old's blankie was left behind at a family cabin). I about died in anticipation of the lost sleep we were sure to experience. But like doggie, it was all fine in the 2 days before we could retrieve it. Of course she still sleeps with that blanket every night and we don't leave home without it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would have had a heart attack if I realized that we left my daughter's "blankie" home in the middle of a 17 hr car ride! I'm so glad that everything turned out just fine for your son. I bet that little doggie will be covered with kisses when he gets home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 17 hour car ride-- you are a brave soul! Love the faux bois fabric on the pocket. And he doesn't seem to mind the pink straps! Great job and thanks for all your work keeping the sew along going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this is so cute. Isn't it funny how we care more about things like pink than our little guys do? I love that they don't care. I'm going to link up my bear carrier just for fun, even though I sewed it this summer. Hope that's okay. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you had a great time yesterday! He is so CUTE! I'm glad he didn't miss his doggie too much, but I bet he'll be happy to have him again when you get home. Have a great rest of your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The carrier is great! Have an awesome time at DW!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Disney!? Yay! Hope you had a wonderful time.
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooooh, I still have time to get mine done.... I haven't even started! Hope Disney is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you had a great vacation and a wonderful reunion with Doggie back at home! I bet he'll love rides in that cute carrier. :) I made the doll dress instead, but there's a link on my blog post to the carrier I made last May.

    Nothing like sliding in just under the wire, but better late than never? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Better late than never!
    Sorry I missed the link up - but I DID finish the carrier this weekend!
    http://blink-and-youll-miss-it.blogspot.com/2012/02/lttsa-baby-doll-carrier.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh I got a bit behind but I finally finished my bear carrier - woo hoo - off to look at everyone else's now

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.