Monday, January 9, 2012

LTTSA: Bear Carrier Part 1- Fabric & Really Fun News!

Ok, I think I've finally recovered from the holidays and am back in the groove of my normal making. And I'm so excited to get back to our Oliver & S Little Things to Sew- Along!






This month we are working on the Bear Carrier. I figure a lot of little ones out there have new dolls and stuffed friends that might need a way to be close to their hearts. 




But of course, you can make any project from the book and link up at the end of the month. Have you tried the cozy winter hood yet? I would highly recommend that one too. Or maybe you could whip up some of those cute scarves like Tara did. Anything goes, as long as it's Little Things to Sew!


Today I cut out the pieces for my carrier. For the main part, I'm using nice gray denim I cut from a pair of my husband's old jeans. The lining, straps, and pocket are all fabrics from my stash. I gotta say, I'm LOVING the pink/ aqua/ charcoal combo. And I love that this project is a mix of old and new materials. 


The lovely mother of pearl buttons are from my vintage collection my mom gave me. I just love it when I have all the perfect elements right on hand. Next week we'll talk button holes! (Although you should know, I'm no expert. I've only done a few so I'm getting some practice too.)



Now for the exciting news about this month's sew-along prize. It's coming to you straight from Liesl G! Could there be anything better for our little group of Gibson groupies?? I decided to email her this week, and she graciously offered up a free digital download Oliver & S children's pattern to this month's winner. That means you get to choose from a few adorable out-of-print patterns. Check out all 4 that are available here. Thank you so much Liesl!

If you are new to the sew-along, we'd love to have you join this month. Read up on important info by clicking the sew-along tab at the top of the page, and be sure to leave a comment here if you plan to make something. All the fun is hearing from and helping each other- so don't be shy!













13 comments:

  1. Really cute! I wish I had someone little to sew for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That hood is adorable! I wonder if I can convince my little girls to wear one...????

    I'll be making something from LTTS this month but I'm not sure what just yet!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've already made the bear carrier, but hopefully I'll have time for something else from the book. I'd love to win one of those patterns to make for my granddaughter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh... i just got the book for christmas :) maybe i'll jump in. after the jet-lag, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter uses her bear (elephant) carrier all the time, especially on bike rides in the summer! Happy sewing, everyone and that giveaway is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh i really want to sew along this month! my daughter would love one of these so much! i am so swamped though... i think i will jump in anyway... seriously, what is one more project at this point?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both my daughters got new baby dolls for Christmas...and they both just picked out their fabrics last night! I got the pattern pieces transferred to freezer paper and cut out for both this project AND the bear hat (the boy child requested a wolf hat...gotta have something for all three apparently!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your color combo, too! It's fun that you're finding new life for some old jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so excited about the giveaway and getting back to sewing! Thanks for mentioning my scarf post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to start the bear/baby carrier - I know it will be a hit in my house. I love that you had everything on hand, and the jeans are a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The carrier has been on my list since I purchased the book last spring, so I was excited to see your sew-a-long. I would have left a comment earlier, but I was having difficulty leaving a comment on your blog using Internet Explorer as a browser - I am now using Google Chrome {Google Help told me that there is a problem with IE and blogs which use embedded comments. No issues with Chrome or Firefox.} I will grab the sew-a-long button.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did anyone have issues with the pocket? The pattern that I have in my book said that the lining was a different size than the outside of pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lisa, they are supposed to be different sizes. The purpose is to hide the seam joining them on the inside of the pocket. You will see this when you get to the pocket step 3, on page 106, where that seam is below the top edge of the pocket.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.