Thursday, January 5, 2012

A couple of Raglans on my Ragamuffin, and Other Knitsy Thoughts

Hey guys, just wanted to pop in and let you know that I'm guest posting today on Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy. Stacey is starting a sew-along thru the very awesome Sewing For Boys book, and this week she is having a bunch of guests showing off their projects from the book to get things pumped up.

I'm sharing 2 versions of the raglan tee pattern in the book, plus all my best tips for sewing with knits. (Which I hear Rae also happens to be talking about this whole week. Knits-apalooza!)




You should go check it out here. All of the cool kids are doing it. And you'll be able to see what hilarious thing this shirt says. You know you want to.



Ok, while we are at it with the knits, I might as well answer Rae's kniterview questions. No, I'm not just pretending that she asked me to guest post too :) She actually wants people to do this!



1. I honestly don't remember. This was the first knit project I made, an LBB Hoodie. I don't think I knew enough back then to even know that knits were different and I should possibly be afraid of them. So that took care of that.

2. See #1

3. Clothes for my boy! And I've now made one LBB Hoodie for my baby girl too. Hendrix's Halloween costumes I've made from knit the past two years as well. I'd like to try a top for myself come spring...











4. It's hard to compare. I'm into quilting pretty hard now (have you noticed?) so that's what I like to do with wovens. I'm obsessed. But I also absolutely love being able to make super-comfy practical things for my kids. Apples and oranges really.

5. Interlock is easiest. Jersey can be a tricky bastard but it's just so soft. I've only used ribbing once and I still need to get a better feel for it...

6. I've only used recycled tee-shirts and sweatshirts until just this week. (See above linked guest post for my other shirt made with store-bought knit.) Oh, and I did buy the ribbing as well. We have a few really nice Michael Miller knits at the local fabric store I work in, but I've also browsed this online store and lusted after their wide selection of knit prints. 

7. See #6

8. My main machine, a Brother pc-420.

9. Nope. I have one. It's a sewing resolution this year to actually figure out what to do with it.

10. I used to just lengthen the stitch slightly, but the Sewing For Boys book has a fantastic tip on this that I  will be utilizing from now on: zig-zag stitch, 1.0 width and 3.0 length. 

11. You know, I haven't. But I can see how that would be pretty helpful. My current walking foot needs replacing though.

12. oooooh, also need to try that. 

13. My absolute favorite thing to do with knits is to cut out my pattern pieces with freezer paper. In fact, I've started doing it with all patterns on any fabric, but it especially makes the cutting so much easier and more accurate with knits. I explain a little more with pictures here

14. Don't be afraid. It's really a must if you like sewing for your kids, so just cut into an old tshirt and go for it. This free tutorial is a good place to start. 




More about Rae's Kniterviews here. What about you guys? Do you embrace or fear the knits? 








6 comments:

  1. Too funny! You know I had to click through to the guest post to see what that shirt said.:) I really like the blue octopus shirt too.

    I love knits! They are so easy to work with and are very forgiving in terms of fit. I've made plenty of knit clothing for my kids but not much for myself...something to work on in 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo congrats on your guest post...how exciting! I'm definitely going to check out this raglan tee business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, so glad you played along with the Kniterview! I love your boy style so much. Congrats on the guest post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. More cowbell! You've worked with knits lots! I have yet to make anything with a knit, but I know I will eventually. I don't think I'm scared of them, really. I just haven't found a knit fabric I'm crazy about for myself, I guess. But there are lots of cute kiddo knits!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i really want to use my serger much more also. i have been trying and i feel like it has been worth the money but i want to use it more for clothing making for myself... i want to make stuff for my kids too but really i want to make stuff for myself more. ;) kidding...kindof.

    but holy crap jessica, the stuff you have made for your little boy, amazing!!!! seriously, amazing! i bow to your knit skills!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the more cowbell! That shirt refashion is right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.