Sunday, January 1, 2012

My Year in Sewing!

Looking back over the year in my Flickr stream was pretty fun. I've been sewing for almost 4 years now, but a couple of things happened in 2011 that really pushed my skills and gave me great opportunities. The first was when I won a new Brother sewing machine in the Prudent Baby potholder contest back in March. Obviously, getting a better machine was great for me and I love my Brother. (and still love my old Singer too!) But winning an online contest that I entered with no expectations gave me a lot of sewing confidence and pushed me to join in more in the online sewing community. This blogging thing became a lot more fun and I realized that I could "meet" some really cool friends here. 

(Thank you little potholder!!!)

Then in the beginning of June I began working at Sewn Studio, a beautiful fabric shop and sewing lounge that had recently opened right in my neighborhood. I was forced to grow more in the technical side of things that I hadn't been able to learn on my own. I have became more comfortable sewing with patterns and different types of fabrics. Of course, I still have a ton to learn and am so thankful that learning is built right into my super-fun job. But the biggest new adventure working at Sewn brought was quilting! I took a class there early in the summer from the talented Heather Jones and was instantly hooked. I still make lots of other things, but even those tend to look more "quilty" now. I have a long list of quilts I want to make in 2012 and I can't wait to start!


These are my finished quilts since that summer class. (More on that last one later this week!)

1. Hendrix's quilt 1, 2. Mini Quilt 1, 3. solids 2, 4. Fall mini, 5. loulouthi back, 6. loulouthi front, 7. Flurry Quilt 1, 8. Bro Quilt




These are my Little Things to Sew-Along projects so far. Hosting the sew-along has been so much fun, and I can't wait to get it started again this year. I just love Oliver and S projects!

1. no hand stitching!, 2. Penguin backpack, 3. Bias-Trimmed Apron, 4. Bias trimmed aprons, 5. LTTS Puppet Theater, 6. Cozy Winter Hood




This year I also joined a quilting bee, do. Good Stitches.  This has been a fantastic experience! I've gotten to know new quilting friends and tried some things I otherwise wouldn't have got to. Really looking forward to seeing what our circle makes this year.

1. August block 1, 2. August block 2, 3. greek cross 2, 4. greek cross 1, 5. Do Good Stitches September #1, 6. Do Good Stitches September #2, 7. DGS November block 1, 8. november DGS blocks, 9. December DGS block 2, 10. December DGS block 1




I made a good amount of clothes for my kids. I will always love doing this and I hope they tolerate wearing my creations for a very long time.

1. dragon 1, 2. grandpa cardigan, 3. Amelia top, 4. Ice Cream Dress, 5. Girl's LBB Hoodie 2, 6. Boy's LBB Hoodie front, 7. fall dress, 8. Itty Bitty Baby Dress, 9. Airplane shirt 1, 10. Easter outfit 2, 11. Chevron shirt, 12. warhol dress 1, 13. helicopter shorts14. Not available15. Not available16. Not available




Lots of other diverse projects this year too...

1. Bunnies, 2. Baby Swaddler open, 3. Baskets after, 4. Crib Sheet, 5. chevron wristlet 2, 6. Mae, 7. Pirate bag, 8. patriotic-pillows 3, 9. swaddlers, 10. Sewing machine cover, 11. Convertible Clutch, 12. blocks 1-6, 13. full tree skirt , 14. Stocking stuffers, 15. stocking detail, 16. 4 patchwork bibs




The very best thing I made this year was little Elsie. (I know, groan. I couldn't resist.) We love this little girl like crazy, wild crazy!



So for 2012? I'd love to make a real article of clothing for ME using a real pattern. I've always said in the past that I'm perfectly happy just making for the kids, but I also know that if I want to stretch and learn, I need to try this once or twice. Maybe I'll actually like it.

As far as quilting, there is SO much I want to try. I want to work a lot more with solids and unique color stories. I'm also really inspired by all the curviness I'm seeing everywhere lately. I want to do a lot more improv, but I also want to try designing a quilt actually using math and getting it all worked out BEFORE starting. That's not how I normally operate, but I feel like it probably has some perks :)

I'd also like to actually figure out my serger. Yes, I have a serger that someone gave me, and it just sits on my shelf because I don't take the time to actually learn how to use it. Kind of embarrassing, but I know once I do it I will be sooooo happy I did.


Blogwise, I'm not really good at thinking far ahead and executing everything I want to do. (Those of you who have been waiting for this late link party are nodding mmmm-hmm.) All I know is that the sew-along will continue and the bias tape swap is coming soon!  I do love this blog and am thankful for all of you who read and encourage me. I couldn't help but notice that I got my 300th follower just today, a pretty cool way to start the year. I really wish I could raise a New Year's glass with all of you, but instead we get to have "parties" with links here that our friends would probably think really dorky. Little do they know how ultra cool we are :)

Happy New Sewing Year!
Jessica



(If you don't mind, put your first name and blog as the "name" of your link. For instance, Jessica@ALittleGray. That way we can all know who we are looking at. I hate it when I can't figure out someone's first name by looking around their blog!)



The Year in Sewing









12 comments:

  1. first to link! woot :) oh, yeah... and wine. lots of post-wedding wine. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. i should probably also mention that you had an amazing year and that you're craft-astic and super talented and i heart you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you do such a variety of projects!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing all the things you made over the past year (wow!), especially that sweet little girl! Thanks for being such a big part of my "blog" life in 2011! I love reading your posts and laughing along! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely to see all your sewing projects in a round up. I might have to remember to do something similar for next year. Love the little grey/black striped sweater in the 5th set of photos. What pattern did you use? And I have to agree, that gorgeous little baby is the best thing of all!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessica, you are so awesome! I'm so glad I found your blog this year. Seeing your mosaics, your projects are beautifully bright and colorful. Elsie is, of course, your greatest creation. I mean, she HAS to be! Have a happy 2012! I linked up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilts are beautiful...thanks for inviting me to link party. Happy new year! And happy sewing in 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful sewing and a gorgeous baby!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great link party! What a list of accomplishments, especially with an adorable new little one! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool! I love all your projects, especially the boy clothing ones!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had a great year!! It was great meeting you in person at Sewn...sure we will see more of each other there. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Little do they know how ultra cool we are indeed. Um, especially you =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.