Monday, January 14, 2013

2012- a (slightly tardy) Review

I learned a lot in 2012. 

Putting it together here is satisfying and a little nostalgic- is it possible to be nostalgic about things that are relatively recent? 



The nostalgic part comes when I think about competing in Project Run & Play in the spring. It was one of those things that was good for me in every unexpected way, but I'd never want to go through again. Winning was a very happy surprise, but definitely not the best one. I gained so much more just from having the excuse to push myself creatively and focus my mind that completely on the task. And I got the chance to learn how many cheerleaders I have. Really really good ones.

The bottom half of the mosaic above is all the looks I've made for Film Petit with Kristin (Who turned out to be another fantastic surprise resulting from my PR&P experience.) I love doing those movie-inspired looks each month. We have more fun with those than should be allowed. There are no plans to stop them any time soon.




I finished 9 quilts this year. Three went to charity, three were gifts, one was my own pattern for Sewn Studio, one was for display in a big quilt show, and one was just for ME. I want a lot more of this in 2013. More quilts in each of those categories please. 




And here are just some of the smaller items I made. I'm a little hooked on gifting quilted pillows at the moment. I need to make more for my own couch this year.

You'll notice the sewing-my-own-clothes category is still appallingly absent. 2013 is the year. (Man, I'm really trying hard to be more selfish, huh?)


There were a lot of other clothing items I made for my kids this year that aren't shown here. After PR&P I was suddenly "known" in the tiny world of kid clothes bloggers and I did a gajillion guest posts and blog events. It was fun, but sometimes stressful. As I think about what I want this year to look like, well, I don't want that. I'm not trying to complain or sound ungrateful to anyone who had me participate in their awesome events. I just don't feel the need to say yes all the time anymore. I'm not a person that likes to be overly busy. Some people do really well at that kind of thing, but I don't at all. I need to leave a lot of extra room in life. So that's what I'm gonna do this year. You will still see a couple of those events coming up, and I don't regret doing those. I'm just gonna stop now. I'm just gonna sew what I want.

So I guess if I were to do that hip thing where you choose one word to characterize your focus for the year, mine would be... SELFISH.

....

....

....

Wouldn't it be awesome if I didn't say that I'm kidding? I'm half kidding. The actual word would be simplify. I want to get rid of the things that are just taking up space, in my home and in my mind. And, you know, make room to be more selfish ;)





13 comments:

  1. Woohoo! Great recap post from you, buddy. I'm so glad we were able to connect and bond over PR&P and that I can call you a good friend now! Hey whaddya say we try to meet in person sometime??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your review Jessica. You nailed 2012 and I'm definitely looking forward to what you come up with this year.. NO PRESSURE. Though I might give you a friendly shove every now and then to get sewing for yourself...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much awesome in one place. Please keep going with the film inspired outfits. I hold my breath waiting for them. Good luck with simplifying this year. I also keep telling myself I'm going to sew more for myself this year. Maybe this will be my year too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's nothing wrong with a little selfish sewing.;) Can't wait to see what's on the agenda for 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Selfish...simplify... I like them both! Here's to a more calm 2013 (and lots of sewing for yourself!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so appreciate your word selfish. I, too, like to have down time. I like my house, I like being alone, and I like to have some unscheduled time. Not 24/7 but more than some, I think. Your pictures are all inspiring. I have the fabric cut for the bottom right quilt you made. My fabrics are a little more muted so I can't wait to see the difference in the final products. Good luck throughout the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so funny!! This was such a nice recap! You really inspired me this last year with all that you do, looking forward to following in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your attitude and your blog! Like you, Homemade by Jill was one of the first blogs I read and checked a lot. Now I added your blog to the list! I also just discovered your post about how much you like your Brother sewing machine. I have been doing a lot of research myself since my Kenmore-garage sale special is on her last leg, so your post was very helpfu!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think moms have to give so much that it is easy to slip into the mindset when we aren't giving, we are somehow being "selfish". In the end, it's got to be better for everyone if there is some balance of give and take in our lives. Enough serious commenting. Thanks for the recap and insight, and I'm glad to hear you'll be continuing Film Petit. It's one of my favorite things on the interweb.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am proud to be one of your cheerleaders! And you had a MEGA productive year worth cheering for! No wonder the first mosaic makes you nostalgic, with all of those adorable photos of your kiddos. They are just too cute. I still love the Drive jacket best!

    Here's to the year of the selfish sew!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i'm pretty much in awe of the fact that you made 9 quilts... let alone competed in PR&P and sewed up a smorsgaboord (?) of other stuff! You are certainly driven and I really enjoy your blog. keep it up in 2013 girl! you are inspiring to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So I'm catching up after being sickee and was very happy to find 3 posts from you. Boy are you fun to read! Ok, only you could make a contemplative year-in-review post funny, Jessica. I'm going to call you "selfish" all year ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You had an amazing year in 2012, can't believe everything you achieved. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do this year. I'm definitely planning some sewing for me this year too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.