Thursday, January 31, 2013

Film Petit #6: Ferris Bueller's Day Off



Everyone loves Ferris. We've done Film Petit 6 times now, and if you are a fan, you know we don't always restrict ourselves to choosing super popular movies. But who doesn't love Ferris Bueller's Day Off? That person probably shouldn't be trusted. 







You know the story. Ferris fakes sick to get out of school, then schemes Cameron and Sloane out too. A day of shenanigans ensues while Ferris' jealous sister and doofus principal try to bust him. Is this the 80's greatest teenage trio of mischief? Undoubtedly.








My favorite scene has got to be the parade in downtown Chicago. Ferris randomly gets up on a float, lip-syncing Danka Schoen and Twist and Shout to the entire city. People even break out in spontaneous choreography in the streets, something that has pretty much been my greatest lifelong dream. (I mean, I used to think about that as a high schooler on a daily basis, way before flash mobs were cool.)





The conversation that Cameron and Sloane are having about life in the midst of all this is part of the genius that is a John Hughes movie: equal parts full-stop fun, teenage angst, and social commentary. You should probably relive the scene right now





This time I knew I needed to copy Ferris' outfit pretty accurately. The pants are not gloriously pleated like his, but even with the more modern fit, I think it's pretty obvious who Hendrix is emulating here, wallet chain and all. They are the Oliver & S After School Pants in size 5. It's hard to tell from the pattern cover that they make great boy pants, but I saw a few pairs other people had made for boys and decided to try it. I love them. The fit is cool, but really relaxed so that he won't grow out of them too fast. I used a bottom weight gray cotton from Joann and they have a slight stretch, making them very comfy and easy for play. Or twisting and shouting.






For the sweater vest I used Blank Slate's Cool Cardigan pattern in a modified size 5. It's a great pattern, I love how there is no guess work in how much ribbing you need to cut. I left off the sleeves, cut the V in the front a little deeper, and made the waistband tighter so it would be nice and blousey. The animal print knit is from Joann as well. It's hilarious on Hendrix and he loves it. He wants to wear it all the time. I might have to end up "coming out" to the other preschool parents about my strange habit of sewing him clothes to dress him up and photograph him in to look like movie characters. Oh nooooo...




We took these photos at Fountain Square in downtown Cincinnati. (I did it all by myself this time, without dragging Nick into it!) People definitely knew what we were doing, but the why was probably a puzzler. Anyway, he did pretty good getting his twist on. He is still singing the song and calling himself Ferris, or sometimes Berris.






Now run fast to see Shannon's amazing little Sloane. Her mini fringe jacket is pretty much the cutest thing ever! We are so glad to have her and her super-talent playing along with us. 

And of course, Cameron is very well represented by Kristin's little guy. Her stencil work is amazing and she took the cutest pictures in a museum. I love it!

Can you imagine if we could have gotten all three of these kids pictured together in the museum? These are the weird things I dream about. 




If you are new to Film Petit, let me catch you up:
  • Roughly once a month, Kristin and I will post FP on the same day, along with one special guest. We all choose a movie together and sew clothing for our kids inspired by the characters or something else in that movie. They are not kids movies, they are just movies we love to love. 
  • We usually don't tell the movie until the post goes up, but we love for people to sew along and make stuff from their favorites too. You can post your photos in the flickr group.
  • Next month we are so excited that Sabra will be our special guest! She is so awesome, especially at the boy sewing. You are gonna die when you see the movie choice :)
  • You can see all my past Film Petit posts right here
  • We have the most fun ever. 











40 comments:

  1. Awesome!!! Great job, as usual! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!! Another awesome film petite! And you are right, people who do not love Ferris Bueller should not be trusted lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! You totally nailed the outfit, and I love that he wants to wear it. And I now know it's slightly awkward to dress your child up as a movie character and snap pics... so bravo on braving downtown Cinci with your little star in tow. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please, please, put all of them in a museum together! Love your outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahhhhhhhhh! I LOVE this. I love how you wrote it up. How well you recaptured the movie in your photoshoot. You are a genius. Amazing. Rad. Stupendous. I hate you for how good you are. ha! (excited can't you tell!!!!?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bueller...Bueller! You Gus are awesome! The outfit rocks, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos are awesome for this one! You guys really captured it perfectly. So, so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So excited we got to do this together! You two are awesome and I soooo badly wished we lived in the same town so we could take pics of them together! How cool would that have been?

    You did amazing and thanks again Jess! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are awesome things to dream about. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never thought of how iconic Ferris' look was untl now. Even if you hadn't said what this movie was, with no other references than that vest, I would have known. Fabulous! And I LOVE him jamming out in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's awesome! I love the vest. You would think an animal-print vest would look kooky on a little boy, but it's pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you guys - seriously? I love you. You choose the best movies, I so look forward to these posts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. the animal print vest = awesome! you did an amazing job with the photoshoot...looking forward to the next film petit!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i'm telling you: you *must* get all three of these kids together to re-enact the art institute of chicago scene. it is of dire importance that you do this as soon as possible. the fate of the (blogging) world depends on it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my word, every time you do a new Film Petit I think it can't any better, but somehow it always does! You are amazing, I'm off to share this on my Facebook page :).

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think the blogging community at large needs to pool money together for us all to travel to Chicago to reenact the art museum scene. ;) You nailed it this month, my friend. The outfit and the photos are perfect. PERFECT I SAY! High five!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome!!!!! I'll put in my 2 bucks! Seriously need to get those kids together for a photo shoot!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i love it!!! i sincerely hope he gets loads of wear out of that leopard (cheetah?) vest. your photos are so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. hahah, great photo shoot! his hair even fits the part well! Great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You know how I feel about this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Perfect! I knew who he was without even the explanation. The hair is just right! Great job. Totally references the movie and looks like two pieces that he can wear in real life all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, this is just too good. I love your little guys dance moves, too, he's a natural. You know, I'm pretty sure leopard print vest wouldn't have come to mind if someone asked me what Ferris wore in the movie. I didn't pay attention to costume design, I guess, but I'm glad you ladies did. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  23. OH MY WORD!!! This is SO fantastic -- AMAZING job, Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  24. How fun! This is why this is the best series ever.

    ReplyDelete
  25. yes! yes, yes, yes, yes, yes! I love that he loves the vest. Such a cute little weirdo. The outfit and acting are all perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  26. A thousand times yes. You are my hero.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Totally sweet. I love that you took him downtown for all these awesome shots!!! NICE!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. How awesome that your little guy could get up in public and strut his stuff! What a champ. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Jessica, this is totally awesome. I found you through Skirt as Top. Love your blog and the Film Petit series is so much fun. Your son is hilarious and precious in this photo shoot! The pictures turned out great, too!! I'm living in Dayton, but moved from Lexington, so I drive through Cincinnati all the time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Okay, you guys are getting in my head. I was watching Clueless for the first time in years and I started planning little mini outfits for my one year old. I've LOVED the Wes Anderson, and I love the Ferris! Thanks for this series.

    ReplyDelete
  31. UMmmmm PRETTY AMAZING! Oh my gosh. I already did the FERRIS BUELLER YOU'RE MY HERO over at kristin's, but I want to do it again here ^_^

    I can imagine people seeing you guys downtown and then quickly jumping on their FB's "ERMAHGERD MINI FERRIS BUELLER!"

    Anyone who is trustworthy {lol} would know who he is. So So So awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Absolutely Amazing! Ferris Bueller's Day Off was THE movie to watch during sleepovers in middle school/high school. Definitely one of my faves. You captured Ferris in mini perfectly!;)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I was wondering when you'd do this movie. So so cool, Hendrix makes a very cool mini Ferris. Amazing photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is so fabulous! The clothing and the photography--and what a model/actor! Very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  35. A great homage, for sure. That vest is GOLD. As is Hendrix. He is such a little cutie. He really hams it up! I cracked up at your IG photo with him touching your face.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.