Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Christmas Gifts- Quick and Dirty

Not that the gifts I made were particularly quick and/or dirty. Hopefully, none were dirty. But I  figured I'd run them all down in one post today so we can all just move on with our lives already. Christmas, you are SO OVER right now.

So early on in December I made the decision that I wasn't going to stress myself out trying to sew everyone an amazing gift. Definitely no full quilts for anyone this year. (Last year there were two. Rookie mistake.) I also decided to sell the Charlie Brown ornaments in my Etsy shop. They had become so popular that it just seemed really stupid not to do it to earn some extra Christmas cash. I did earn some good cash, but I also didn't have much time to sew the gifts I did want to sew for people, therefore we spent more on Christmas. Catch 22. But it was a lovely Christmas, and now all that Etsy money will be used for our trip to Vegas next month to see my younger brosef get hitched. Exciting! (P.S. The shop is back open, if anyone wants a head start on next year.)



This one was actually a birthday gift for my mom. She turned 60 last week, and I turned 30! We had a really nice family celebration and she loved this pillow. Now I can't stop dreaming of a whole church dash quilt.





This doll quilt was for our best friends' daughter, Lily. (You may remember some of her modeling from PR&P.) Lately when she comes over to play, she is always carrying around the Grinch placemat as her "camping mat." She dances with it, uses it as a cape, a stage, a magic carpet. So I knew she needed her own. I used all scraps plus a fat quarter that came from Delia on the back. (Thanks Delia!)




This one is for their son Ryan. It's actually a 16" pillow cover, but I hadn't gotten the form yet when I took pictures. He LOVES Sonic. Which is kind of hilarious for a 5 year old in 2013. I love the way the felt appliqué looks on the Julia Rothman Type print I got at Sewn. 




I made four of these boxed-bottom zip pouches for Hendrix's teachers, but all I got was this late night IG pic of a couple of them. I really wanted to keep the triangle one for me. 




Lastly, an exciting gift for me! My mom got me a FQB of Lizzy House's Pearl Bracelets for my birthday. This is definitely my favorite print ever and I'm so excited to have every color. I've already used up 6-7 of them. We found them still in stock at Fresh Modern Fabric, although I think they only have the half yard bundles now... which I might go back for soon!







16 comments:

  1. Love the Sonic the Hedgehog pillow! Looks like great gifts overall!

    Fawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some great gifts!! Yeah, I hear ya on wanting to keep something that you give for yourself...pretty much every bag and pouch I made to give this Christmas I wanted to keep for myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love all those gifts! that pillow for you mom is lovely, and yes, you need to do a quilt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are such nice gifts, Jessica! If you haven't seen Svetlana's churn dash yet, you'll definitely want to make a churn dash quilt now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, that sentence above got a bit garbled when I added the link on Svetlana's name :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun post! Love the churn dash pillow and how your background is your print fabric! One of my favorite blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. uh oh. I missed your birthday?? When? Happy birthday! Pearl bracelets are an excellent gift! And so are all of these other goodies. I'm glad you had success with the Charlie Brown ornaments! I fully support your desire for more churn dashes. I would like more in my life as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love your gifts, any of them would be lovely to receive. And Happy Belated Birthday!

    do you put pockets or 'slots' in your zippered pouches? just wondering if you do, what tutorial did you use?

    I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all these! The Sonic pillow is so rad!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of it - awesome! Can't single anything out - it's all fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! Shortening the handmade gift list is always a good idea - higher quality everything. These recipients are lucky people!

    ReplyDelete
  12. aww, i love Lily's doll quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. that is so cute that he loves Sonic. awesome. And thanks for the shout out lady. :) You're so nice to me.

    I would have been tempted to keep that triangle pouch too! You are the coolest.

    ReplyDelete
  14. your gifts are all great! I LOVE that pillow. and the triangle pouch would be very difficult to let go of.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely projects as always but I especially love that pillow! And the Lizzy bracelets - exactly what I got my daughter for Christmas too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.