Monday, January 28, 2013

Baby Swaddler and Fabric Adventures



Last week I got to make a sweet baby gift for a friend (who was giving it to her friend.) It's been to long since I've gotten to sew for a baby! Well, besides that baby quilt I started. It's the free Snuggler Pattern by Lotta Jansdotter. 




I first one of these before Elsie was born, and then made a few more when a bunch of friends had babies at once. The first 3-4 weeks of Elsie's life I had totally forgot to use it. Then when I finally put her in it, it was like a miracle. She always napped like a pro, slept all the way through the night at 6 weeks, and never went back. These results probably aren't guaranteed for all babies, but I know this snuggled made a huge difference! Every new parent needs one.



The fabric is from Sarah Watts' new Timber and Leaf line. It's just such a soft and beautiful woodsy group of fabrics. I wanted all of it, but kept myself to buying just two prints. This particular mom loved the fabric because she had already painted birch trees on the nursery wall. I had no idea! Call me the fabric psychic. 




Which I did on a recent shopping trip to Fabric Shack with some new and old friends. Fabric Shack is a great local quilt shop in the tiny town of Waynesville, OH, which is about 45 north of where I live. Everyone around here always talks about it, but I've never been. It's hard to be motivated to make that kind of trek to a fabric store when you are lucky enough to work in the best shop in the area. 



But I was pleasantly surprised by how much the selection lived up to everyone's talk. It's just a BIG little lqs, with room for lots of collections. Tons of modern designers, kona solids, Kaffe shot cottons, traditional stuff like repros and batiks, and even an extensive selection of novelties. That's where I found that super cool London subway print by Timeless Treasures that I couldn't resist. I also failed to resist some Tula Pink and Lizzy House. Before we got to the shop, I told Heather I wasn't looking to buy anything. Whoops. I should've known myself better than that.


lunchtable

But even better than the fabric shopping was the time with great sewing friends. A group of IG/ blog friends from Columbus came down and met some of us Cincy girls for lunch and shopping. It was so fun to meet these sewists I've admired from afar for the first time! From left is April, Julie (my boss at Sewn), Heather, me (I don't know what I'm doing. I was completely unable to take a non-goofy picture that day), Kara (I stole this picture from you girl!), Allie, Amanda, and Rachael. And Emily was there too, taking this picture. It was super fun to meet her since I started reading her blog ages ago. She was just as cool as I thought she'd be. I love when the internet comes to life and you think it might be weird, but instead it's normal and nice and mostly hilarious. Hopefully we can all hang again soon!







7 comments:

  1. Please stop saying nice things about me on the Internet. You're ruining my street cred. ;)

    In all seriousness though, you inspire the crap out of me, and I am so glad we got to hang out! Next time needs to involve beers and Jeni's in cbus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That fabric is incredible!!! So jeal of your Ohio hangout. Buncha awesome gals you met there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is adorable. I need to make one right now. We've been using a similar (purchased) product, and have not enjoyed quite the results you did, however. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the swaddler! I've that pattern pinned for the next round of babies are born to friends/family.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much fun! We will all bond again soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much fun! I love when the internet comes to life. Well, in this way, anyhow. I can never resist Lizzy House. Never.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I saw all of those prints, I would have a hard time resisting too. They are amazing! I'm lusting after them. I'm also thinking that it's high time I make one of those snugglers. The pattern is in my computer, and I've got a baby coming, as well as my sister being pregnant with her first. Let the sewing commence!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.