Thursday, May 2, 2013

More KCW: The Dire Wolf Tank


This was my bit of nerd sewing from last week. Although, it turned out to be some really cool nerd sewing. The dire wolf was an actual prehistoric very large wolf that is now extinct. But it's popular around our house lately because of Game of Thrones. Why wouldn't huge-ass light colored wolves that protect the House Stark be an integral part of my KCW?




I must credit the artist Nora Aoyagi for the original image I traced the wolf from for my freezer paper stencil. (Also, I watched the Project Runway finale last week while making this, and the whole wolf thing with this color scheme was definitely a little Michelle inspired. Probably should have sharpied some giant circles all over Elsie for the photo shoot.)




The tank itself was made from an old shirt of mine and a pattern I made from one of Elsie's shirts. I had made a simple pocket tank from the same pattern earlier in the week, but this time I added a flutter sleeve. I rarely do things that so closely resemble ruffles, but... I sure do love this. I see more flutter sleeves in my future. Here's a good tutorial for making them, but for this knit tee I kept edges the raw.



The shorts were another super quick project from my productive week. They were made from thrifted gingham pants with Cailamade's summer shorts pattern. Which is free! And happens to be Elsie's size exactly. 



The great thing about this tank is that somehow that weird color goes with every single bottom I made her last week (5 of them.) Well, actually that's not the great thing, but it's third on the list of great things.  This is just a quick Lazy Days skirt with added Echino patch pockets on the sides. Elsie loves the pockets. Lightning McQueen was getting parked in them all day.



The pink fabric is Aboriginal dot by Kaffe Fassett. I sure to love his dots, stripes, and shots. I picked up some of each at the recent International Quilt Festival downtown and I was excited to use a little already. Pink and ruffles in the same outfit!? And cars and a wolf... I have no idea how, but it's working for me. 




In a very strange twist of marketing, this photo shoot was apparently brought to you by both Pixar and HBO. 









11 comments:

  1. Elsie and her clothes are just too adorable!

    I was so glad Michelle won on Project Runway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this tank! As a Michelle lover, I totally see her style in this too. Now that I've made a pair of mustard pants for Violet, I'm of the opinion that mustard pretty much goes with anything. I can put any top on her and it looks good. Mustard.....the new neutral

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore this look- the direwolf (now I have the GD song in my head!), the mustardy color, and the blond curls! I was also inspired by Michelle's collection- best PR ever! -Caroline
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhqyg_dTaTg

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL....thanks for bringing a nod to GoT. Missing Season 3 after having to cancel cable.

    Fawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Her little toe that overlaps her big toe :3 SO CUTE. I love love this shirt, the colour, the flutter sleeves, the direwolf. It's a great fit too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh hey I never commented on this. I LIKE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, looks like this photo shoot totally worked for her. She looks happy. Great shots! That color tank is absolutely perfect. I need one that color.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so very awesome!! We totally geek out on Game of Thrones so I'm living the dire wolf tee! And the whole ensemble is so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. how did i miss this post? this entire outfit is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How am I just seeing this post?! This is one of my fave outfits from the whole KCW. And that smile! Those checkered shorts! Dang, love it, and thanks for posting my link!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.