Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Baby Gifts: Bibs and Swaddlers

 A few friends having babies= a few baby gifts to make! Baby stuff is so fun to make because A. There are a bazillion cute projects and cute fabrics to choose from and 2) I like to give gifts to the parents that are a bit off the beaten path from the baby shower norm. Of course, that's why I like handmade for any kind of gift I guess.




Ever since I made this swaddler (free pattern here) for Elsie, I have known that every newborn needs one. Or more accurately, every parent of a newborn needs it. It's like a sleep genie. 





So after making three swaddlers for three babes, I had a lot of minky left over in odd shapes. I took one of Elsie's bibs and made a pattern for these, backing them in the minky and attempting some fun scrap-busting on the front. Making enough of that 2" square patchwork (postage stamp?) did take a little while, but it was the fun, methodical, mindless kind of sewing that is very refreshing sometimes. And I think the results are pretty cute. There was even one girl version left for Elsie- see, she does get something made for her once in a while.




Three fun baby packages all mailed out to sweet born babes or babes to-be.



Do you like making baby gifts? What are your go-to infant projects?















Celebrate Color

18 comments:

  1. I want to be your friend! These are so great! I made a nursing cover for my sister and she loves it and has just requested one for a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are adorable! The matching bibs make a great gift set. So how easy is the swaddler pattern? I meant to do it when Cooper was a baby, but never got around to it. I'd like to give it a try before the next one comes around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! I LOVE the swaddler. It's adorable. I have only made a few baby gifts, so I don't really have a go-to yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great gifts! I wish I would have known how great those swaddles were when I first had Ava--it was like 3 months before we caught on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work! The swaddler is a great idea! If it isn't already patented, you should do so! You just can't get enough of quilting these days, can you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have one of those swaddlers! And they are actually my go to baby gift after receiving one of my own. I love those patchwork bibs. So cute! I need to try that soon. I just found out I am going to be an aunt for the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable baby gifts!! I have a couple questions for you. What fabric did you use for the inside of the swaddlers? And how big is the hole in your bib? I made a bib from a pattern, but the neck seems way too small and I don't have a baby to try it on! Thanks for any help!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe someday you could share how to do that lovely and time consuming 2" patchwork. You are wooing me into the world of quilting and you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bibs are fun; I've also made a couple of changing pads from an Amy Butler pattern. My daughter finds them very handy - they just roll up & fit in the diaper bag.

    ReplyDelete
  10. holy busy! wow, these are so so freakin cute. man, great gifts!!! lucky friends

    ReplyDelete
  11. So, so cute! The colors are great!!! I usually make a simple blanket with voile and flannel.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are beautiful. As always your fabric choices are perfect! It makes me want a little one to swaddle!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will totally try my hand at the swaddlers. I posted them on my pinterest too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love these! I downloaded the pattern straight away. Thanks for showing us!

    ReplyDelete
  15. awesome baby presents! those patchwork bibs are so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love this project! thank you for sharing. with a baby of my own on the way, this might be one i have to make! thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I downloaded the pattern from the link you gave. the pattern pieces look pretty small and there are 9 pages of pattern pieces when I look at the pdf. Does this sound accurate? My daughter had a premie who is now 2 months and just 8 lbs so snuggler would be great to help her sleep. I'd sure appreciate hearing your thoughts on the pattern pieces before I cut into some fabric.

    thank you for an always inspiring blog. I am very grateful for your creativity and that you share it with us.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.