Wednesday, April 20, 2011

3 Boy Shirts

So have you seen the little solid and striped tees Target has right now for $5? I bought a bunch and have been having a blast dressing them up, mostly with a stack of mine and Nick's old tees. Mucho-score-age. 


First up is the obligatory "big brother" shirt. We parents sure love to put things on our kid's clothes that they won't understand. And me, I like to abbreviate things to make them even harder to understand. I even thought about making it say "bro-ham" or "brosef" like Jack Black calls Will Ferrell in his little Anchorman cameo. But that would have just confused most everyone and made our parents and grandparents question our moral bearings and worldviews...Hendrix is just going to like it because it has "shark attacks" on it. 

The words are freezer paper stenciled, and the wave part is a graphic that I just painted real quick. Just lying, it was already on another shirt. Then I slapped on a couple sharks.


This shirt you might remember being modeled on game day. The thing is, sports team apparel for kids is WAY expensive. Much more than I would ever pay for an article of clothing that is going to get popsicle stains all over it, or maybe even puked on. I found a Reds shirt at a thrift store a long time ago and put the logo from it onto this shirt about 6 minutes before we walked out the door to head to the Reds game. (p.s. That day was their first loss of the season so far. We always seem to have that effect on them.) 



This last shirt didn't turn out exactly as planned. When Nick saw it he said it looked like something Randy Savage would wear. (?) Then he asked if I was a promotor of Chevron now. (Don't get him started on the system.) The technique is inspired by this shirt, which of course looks perfect and cute and easy to pull off...


But only the top green chevron part is curling up to achieve the desired effect. After some quick pondering, I figured out that this is because I should have sewn the other two chevron panels opposite side down. Knit t-shirt material always has a side that curls up on the edges you cut into... D-oh. 

Maybe it will still curl up the more times I wash it, who knows. It's still his favorite color and cute enough to play outside in. I'm just glad the poor kid got something made for him in the midst of all these dresses and pink things. Just two more days until we meet Elsie Morgan! Squeeeeee!!!!











10 comments:

  1. These are UH-mazing. I am always thinking what I can make for the little man. Great idea! All of them look so good! why do our husbands always have to burst our bubbles????

    I was also looking at the last post. I have thought this before but our little men (sons) look alike a little.... scary. My son is a lot younger but they have similarities

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute. I was thinking the chevron shirt looked too tricky to be true, I'm glad I saw yours before I attempted (it still looks great) :) I found them on sale a couple weeks ago for $3, I kept going back to the store to get more! Now I'm getting ready to spruce up my little man's summer wardrobe and these are some good ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - great job on the shirts! I think your chevron tee looks great! Here's crossing my fingers that it will curl in the wash. I would have done the same thing. Thanks for leaving such a fab tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They all look fantastic! How cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the chevron one! when is baby girl scheduled to arrive??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Big Bro shirt is very cute. I should have hired you :-) Good job Mama.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very clever. Nanny

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE the big bro shirt! I kind of want to make one now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the chevron shirt! I featured this on a Chevron round up at Lines Across My Face. Stop by and grab a featured button :)
    Rachel
    http://linesacrossmyface.blogspot.com/2011/08/i-heart-chevron.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful fashion for boys. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.