Monday, March 19, 2012

Mug Rugs Swapped



Last Wednesday at our Cincy MQG meeting we had a big 'ol mug rug swap. This is my first mug rug, and I can now see why people say these are so fun to make. (It's because they are, in case you couldn't connect the dots there.) It was a random swap, so I hoped my little sewing machine would appeal to most anyone there. I also hoped it would be distinguishable as a sewing machine... hmmm.



I was inspired by the bird mini quilt my mom made me for Christmas that used this style of messy free-motion stitching for appliqué. It was really fun to do. Messy is definitely easy for me. And it's one little risk-free exercise that helps me feel that much more comfortable with fmq. Baby steps. 

I used the cheater method for binding, just cutting the back a little bigger and folding it over the front. I was also happy to use all scraps for this, so I'm entering it into the Scrap Attack. (I wish I could say the same about my Japanese + & x quilt, but that is not happening. Sheesh.)




And this is the lovely mug rug I got from Debbie. I don't know if you can tell, but the lines criss-crossing are pleated pieces. It's a cool effect I'd like to try sometime.


After finishing up some other sewing commitments last week, today is dedicated to attacking my to-do lists hardcore so that I can finally start on my first PR&P outfit. It's been living in my brain for a week, begging to come out and I can't wait to start!











8 comments:

  1. i love your mug rug and the one you got is really cool. i can't wait to see the outfit that has been in your brain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the messy FMQ - a mug rug would be a great spot to practice that! the mug rug you got is really cool, too - looks like a tranquil pond. can't wait to see your PR&P ideas come to life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your mug rug!! The feed dog wheel on my machine is broken, so there's no more true fmq for me until I get her fixed! It sure is fun, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That little sewing machine is SO cute!! Love your FMQ!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love! Swaps are so fun. Are you enjoying the guild? I'm really enjoying mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sewing machine. Mug rugs are fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Messy FMQ is a cool move. Yours turned out nicely!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.