Thursday, March 1, 2012

That Time I Made Clown Pants



Ok, so they are not really clown pants. They appear to be somewhat cute little boy pants when they are innocently hanging on the wall there.




These are the Treasure Pocket Pants from the book Sewing For Boys. This is the third pattern I've made from the book, and like the others, this was a GREAT pattern. (Just make sure you check out the pattern update here if you try it.) So many great finishing details like the faux fly and hem facings. All while keeping in mind what a little boy would like- lots of easy to access pocket space for little boy belongings. 




The problem is that I cut them a size too big, and Hendrix looks like he's wearing harem pants/ MC Hammer pants/ chef pants/ mall rat JNCO's. (anyone?)

He really loved wearing them, they just look a bit too goofy for me to stomach taking them out into the world. Of course, that's much better than making them too small, I was just really excited about him wearing these right now. And this almost-3-year-old just keeps outgrowing everything, so maybe it won't be too long after all.

It's a funny thing making clothes for your kids. Sometimes I don't know what I enjoy about it more, the process itself, or getting to see them wear it... maybe the process here served me well enough and I don't need him to wear them that bad. Unless he just really wants to take up sagging.









11 comments:

  1. Adorable! And look at those details on the faux fly!!! Bummer that they're too big, but you're right, he'll grow into them fast. I have yet to do more than the t-shirt from that book. Maybe I'll try those pants someday when I get my act together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a bunch of pairs of JNCOs in high school! I've tried to find epicures of the crazy ones I had but no luck. Your pants are super cute though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute! i find myself making things way too big on purpose sometimes, too, and then they grow into them WAY faster than i expect them to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i totally laughed at your JNCO's! super cute pants on that little little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think they look great! Not clown pants, at all. My son has short, skinny legs so I always have a the problem of baggy pants too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are really cute, but yes, I immediately thought of Hammer Pants! Much cuter than anything MC ever had, though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love those! Every time I sew Remi something it does not fit:( big belly, short legs, long torso...does not fit the average 12 month old pattern

    ReplyDelete
  8. They're so cute! Thanks for linking to that update, too. I have the book, but didn't know about that! BTW, my son's EVERY pair of pants basically looks like that. He's just too skinny to wear pants. He runs with one hand holding them up. So I'm scared to even attempt figuring out what size to make him... He needs like 18 month waist with 3T legs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally want to make these pants, but I as the patterns smallest size is 2T, and so my teeny muchkin (despite his 22 months) would greatly suffer from sagging if I made them in that size! Awesome job, and it makes me definitely want to make them very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, JNCOs. That takes me back to a time I'd rather not remember.
    I think these pants are super cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.